Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Android made Ubuntu redundant?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Has Android made Ubuntu redundant?

Having had a XOOM for a couple of weeks now, I find that I am spending less and less time using my laptop. I can do virtually all the tasks I need to on my tablet (not forgetting my blue tooth keyboard).

Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience?
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Has Android made Ubuntu redundant?

Not so much Ubuntu, but laptops in general. Most people use their laptops for simple tasks like browsing/IMing anyway. Still, as I mentioned in another thread, I would never use a tablet for anything more than a web device.

They will not replace a desktop PC. However, they're better than laptops when it comes to basic tasks like web browsing and chatting. That said, why are they so expensive?

Edit for the cheesecakers: I am referring to tablets, not smartphones since the OP mentioned the Motorola Xoom. But what do I know? I'm just a Linux user
    Last edited by kaldor; August 2nd, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Beans

Android on my phone has made me less attached to my laptop due to the simple point of convenience a smart phone offers. Will it ever replace Ubuntu? Never... a computer (laptop or desktop) just offers so much more than a phone or tablet could ever offer.

However, if you're that limited of a user that a tablet can fit the bill, by all means use what does the job for you. I wouldn't be able to survive using JUST a tablet, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

However, they're better than laptops when it comes to basic tasks like web browsing and chatting. That said, why are they so expensive?
    More costly materials, chips on a shorter run, and novelty demand all push the prices up. I imagine they'll stabilize in the ~$300 range soon enough.

But no, iOS doesn't make OSX irrelevant, so likewise, Android and Ubuntu. = )

Beans

Be it an Android Tablet or an iPad they are all an extension of your PC/Laptop not a replacement.

A HP touchpad is an extension of nothing, it's a flat door stop.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Be it an Android Tablet or an iPad they are all an extension of your PC/Laptop not a replacement.
    I agree, these things only cement the power of desktop/laptop computers. Your "computer" whatever it is, ends up becoming an essential tool for interfacing with and managing these devices.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

There is a lot that I do on my laptop that I can't do on an Android device.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post

A HP touchpad is an extension of nothing, it's a flat door stop.
    I am actually replacing my laptop next week, as a "test". I access our ERP systems through RDP, I have the HD dock, linked to an HD monitor, I use TouchDown which is an excellent client, QuickOffice handles everything I have thrown at it so far, UbuntuOne and DropBox mean I can access anything, anywhere.

Be interesting to see what I can't do!
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    Having had a XOOM for a couple of weeks now, I find that I am spending less and less time using my laptop. I can do virtually all the tasks I need to on my tablet (not forgetting my blue tooth keyboard).

Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience?
    Can it natively run emacs? How about ccrypt, GPG and ssh? (and I mean the actual UNIX tools, not a java applet you have to agree to google's terms to be able to install)

The only similarity between Andoid and GNU/Linux is that they both run the (mostly) same kernel. Other than that, it's an unusable, locked-down system just barely better than the jobsian abomination.

A simple test: If it isn't self-hosted, it isn't a real OS and you shouldn't bother.

/thread

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    Can it natively run emacs? How about ccrypt, GPG and ssh? (and I mean the actual UNIX tools, not a java applet you have to agree to google's terms to be able to install)

The only similarity between Andoid and GNU/Linux is that they both run the (mostly) same kernel. Other than that, it's an unusable, locked-down system just barely better than the jobsian abomination.

A simple test: If it isn't self-hosted, it isn't a real OS and you shouldn't bother.

/thread
    I love emacs, but your criteria is ridiculous :/

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast