Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Android made Ubuntu redundant?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Has Android made Ubuntu redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    We don't imprison people without good reason
    Since when?

Beans

I work on my laptop with HTML, VMs, and Documents. Try doing all that on Android (I am a rooted Android user, and I feel I know the system pretty well, but I still can't image trying to work on it ).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    Well hell, that explains it all then. No wonder I always come back empty-handed with tales of "the big one" when I go fishing!
    My one must be OSX based
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Be it an Android Tablet or an iPad they are all an extension of your PC/Laptop not a replacement.

A HP touchpad is an extension of nothing, it's a flat door stop.
    I have to disagree with the Android/PC thing. I haven't had to connect my Android to a computer since I rooted it. As for iPad and Mac, that's slightly closer to the mark but will likely change with iOS 5 upwards.

As for an HP Touchpad, I've actually been thinking of getting one, and in all the reviews I've read, I really couldn't think of any reason whatsoever to attach it to anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    Durr, excuse me while I open my Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz/8GB DDR3 laptop and play some Mass Effect 2.
    Do most people have laptops that powerful? I only use my laptop for basic stuff (it can't handle gaming very well) and the same goes for most people I know. Notice how many people buy netbooks? I'm sure the average person walking into a store isn't buying the 350 dollar Dell to play Mass Effect or Crysis.

I also said "Most", not "Everyone".

Edit: This does bring up a thought, though; if you had a desktop PC and a Xoom/iPad/etc, would you need or want a laptop?
    Last edited by kaldor; August 2nd, 2011 at 09:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    I have to disagree with the Android/PC thing. I haven't had to connect my Android to a computer since I rooted it. As for iPad and Mac, that's slightly closer to the mark but will likely change with iOS 5 upwards.

As for an HP Touchpad, I've actually been thinking of getting one, and in all the reviews I've read, I really couldn't think of any reason whatsoever to attach it to anything.
    You miss my point, by extension of the PC I do not mean connecting to the PC.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Be it an Android Tablet or an iPad they are all an extension of your PC/Laptop not a replacement.

A HP touchpad is an extension of nothing, it's a flat door stop.
    I am trying to figure out if Door Stop is a good thing or bad. I been looking at those HP Duos that are half small laptop, half tablet. Cant decide if I should get one of those or just an andriod tablet for college work, esp e-books..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

I have to disagree with the Android/PC thing. I haven't had to connect my Android to a computer since I rooted it.
    have you ever tried any of the nightly builds? or do you stick to the old software and never get it updated?
    'Dont Steal the Government Hates Competition' !!Ron Paul 2012!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I work on my laptop with HTML, VMs, and Documents. Try doing all that on Android (I am a rooted Android user, and I feel I know the system pretty well, but I still can't image trying to work on it ).
    Yup, can do all that! It requires app, but perfectly happy to work in RDP, html, excel, word etc.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans

that is why android is better than ios no need to hook it up to your pc ever. upload directly to photobucket or youtube. download music directly from amazon mp3 store. download apps directly from the market. what are you guys doing that requires you to sync with pc?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast