Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Software Center (!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

New Software Center (!)

It appears the devs over at Canonical are slowly but surely getting the Ubuntu Software Center up to par as 11.10 Oneiric comes down the pipeline. Here's a screenshot of the latest:

What do you guys think? Full story at OMG! below..

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/08/u...lands-oneiric/
    In a ham and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed

Beans
    Distro

Re: New Software Center (!)

Hopefully it's faster.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans

That color scheme looks familiar.

Looks like more of that time-travel reverse-engineering madness.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mixed feelings on this. Software Center is a clunky, overworked GUI that tries to replace a few of the features of Synaptic and GDebi. That said, that looks much better than the current version in design terms.

Edit: And a comment on the story does confirm that it's faster.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; August 1st, 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Mixed feelings on this. Software Center is a clunky, overworked GUI that tries to replace a few of the features of Synaptic and GDebi. That said, that looks much better than the current version in design terms.

Edit: And a comment on the story does confirm that it's faster.
    I miss Gdebi- I dislike having to either install a deb with dpkg or with the Ubuntu Software Center. I have not extensively looked for Gdebi or a replacement though, so this may not actually be an issue.

I am always cautious when a corporation starts inciting change in a product; I see the free, free, free labels in that screenshot and I can just imagine in 5 years when its 1.99, 5.99, 0.99.. This may never happen and that might not be their intent, but I see Unity and the new Software Center as a step towards (doing what Apple does) centering a product around ways to make money. Yes, im aware there are other options and Im not afraid to use them, yet I cant help but wonder. This capitalist global model of commerce permeates everything it seems.. I understand Canonical has to make money to carry on business, but I fear they also originally intended to do so completely under the premise of making money from support contracts. Aware that Ubuntu has a hard road ahead trying to compete with Red Hat and Novell, and aware that Shuttleworth is no dummy, I figure he will find a way if there is one; I fear that may be through incorporating sales into Ubuntu (I, of course, could be wrong).

It is interesting to note what seems to me a conflicting set of directions in Ubuntu; while it ostensibly carries a more "friendly" and "easy" desktop providing a more inviting experience to new users (in theory), it also seems to be paving the way for commercial interests to advertise in the product- Mac does this, and Shuttleworth does take Apple into heavy consideration it seems..

Aesthetically, the new Software Center looks better..
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Distro

awesome!
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

The layout is OK but those colours? no, they are horrible.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
    I fear that may be through incorporating sales into Ubuntu (I, of course, could be wrong).

It is interesting to note what seems to me a conflicting set of directions in Ubuntu; while it ostensibly carries a more "friendly" and "easy" desktop providing a more inviting experience to new users (in theory), it also seems to be paving the way for commercial interests to advertise in the product- Mac does this, and Shuttleworth does take Apple into heavy consideration it seems..
    Are you somehow trying to sell me the idea that more commercial support could be anything but good for Ubuntu? As long as they don't try and charge for FOSS, I don't see a problem.

I mean, if we get more software, and some of it can only exist with a monetary incentive, thats fine by me.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans

I'd like to know only if it works well and does the job.
    Don't care about the mere graphical aspect.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    That color scheme looks familiar.

Looks like more of that time-travel reverse-engineering madness.
    the big orange banner you see on the pic is just a big orange banner for ubuntu 1
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast