Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 and VDPAU?

Beans

Question Ubuntu 11.04 and VDPAU?

I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) on a system with a GeForce 210 graphics card and I can't get VDPAU to work.

Previously I ran 10.04 (32 bit) on the same system with SMPlayer working perfectly with VDPAU.
    Now however if I select VDPAU in "preferences -> video -> output driver" there is no video, only sound.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 and VDPAU?

Oh... I'm also running the "Experimental 3D Support for NVidia cards" driver in the "additional drivers" list which seems to be the only driver I found that runs properly on my system.

Beans

I've managed to get VDPAU working by installing VLC media player (not my favorite, but it works) and installing the VDPAU driver using:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vdpau-va-driver
    I do like SMPlayer much better though so if someone has a tip on how to get that working it would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What you have working is VA-API with VLC..
    The vdpau-va library is a VDPAU backend for VA-API.
    I'm guessing that experimental 3d driver is nouveau & not nvidia driver.

The GT210 is very low power so needs the nvidia driver to work well.

Could examine or post your
    /var/log/Xorg.0,log
    file as attachment (*.txt), this file will he;p debug the X server video driver

Beans

Anyone had any progress on this post. I still have slow graphics, and sleep still don't work. I thought since there has been a while since any activity here, maybe someone did any better.

I changed to ubunto from win 7 on this 1215b because it works smoother, and in win7 my touchpad was a mess, but it automaticly worked when installing ubuntu. I tried the 11.10 the day it was released but thought it was buggy then, so I'm back to 11.04.