Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 64bit Natty and Intel Sandy Bridge (ThinkPad T420)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

64bit Natty and Intel Sandy Bridge (ThinkPad T420)

Hello,

After running 64bit Natty on a ThinkPad T420 with integrated i915 graphics for some time, I'll try to summarize my experiences and list solutions as well as issues that still do exist.

EDIT: I posted a list for 64bit Oneiric on a ThinkPad T420 here.

First, most of the hardware worked out of the box.

Below follows a list of issues with a fresh Natty installation, that I was able to solve:

Unfortunately, still some issues persist:

• microphone mute key is not working: bugreport
    • issues with external monitor and docking station: described here
    • the kernel patch that fixes many of the issues above still didn't make it into Natty updates. It seems to be applied to the 2.6.38-11 kernel, but that one still is in Natty proposed updates, and wasn't accepted to Natty updates yet. It seems like a regression was found in 11.47, and thus we need to wait for 11.48
    • many small issues with unity, but I guess these are not specific to my hardware
    • another hardware-independent, but very annoying issue: thunderbird freezing at quit from time to time: bugreport

I believe that a lot issue can be solved by using newer kernels, xorg intel video drivers and mesa. It would be much appreciated, if ubuntu developers could give Sandy Bridge support a higher priority. A lot of people will use this technology together with ubuntu in future. And some of the issues described above even may result in damaged hardware, thus they should be considered as critical.
    Last edited by mejo; October 16th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.

Re: 64bit Natty and Intel Sandy Bridge (ThinkPad T420)

I applaud this movement.

A comprehensive guide with how to get the T420 working with ubuntu as much as possible (hardware related only) would be awesome too, as I'm going to be testing out that laptop 3 days from now..

My current IdeaPad Y460, excellent with Windows (except for.. you know.. the Windows part.. which isn't excellent..).. always have a problem with Ubuntu.. Hopefully I can move to the T420 if it doesn't have too many issues.

Also what about the Active Protection System and Thinklight?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebuster View Post
    A comprehensive guide with how to get the T420 working with ubuntu as much as possible (hardware related only) would be awesome too, as I'm going to be testing out that laptop 3 days from now..
    You should find all relevant information about how to setup Ubuntu 11.04 Natty on a ThinkPad T420 in my notes above. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to write a step-by-step tutorial right now.

I missed a note about external monitor and docking station in the list above. Will have to do further investigation before adding it to the list though.

Also what about the Active Protection System and Thinklight?
    Didn't dig into the topic Active Protection System yet, but according to the thread Ubuntu 11.04 on Thinkpad T420 with HDAPS Working it works with patched tp_smapi kernel module (step-by-step tuturial for patching tp_smapi).

The thinklight works out of the box. You can turn it on and of with the respective hotkey (<Fn> + <PageUp>).

It took a lot of config to get all the thing work.. Unfortunately I didn't have foresight to record all the things I did to get it working... -.-

I also had to config grub's boot option to disable something in order to lower the temperature to around 40-45C. Don't remember what it was, but the CPU was constantly spinning at around 50-55C before (very unthinkpad)

Beans
    Distro

I also had to config grub's boot option to disable something in order to lower the temperature to around 40-45C. Don't remember what it was, but the CPU was constantly spinning at around 50-55C before (very unthinkpad)
    Do you mean the boot option 'pcie_aspm=force'? Whatever boot options you added, you should be able to find them either in /etc/default/grub or at least in /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mejo View Post
    Do you mean the boot option 'pcie_aspm=force'? Whatever boot options you added, you should be able to find them either in /etc/default/grub or at least in /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    Mejo, do you mean that the "pcie_aspm=force" option needs to be disabled on the T420?

I'd like to know, because I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a T420 (in about 2 weeks).

Thanks in advance for your answer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    Mejo, do you mean that the "pcie_aspm=force" option needs to be disabled on the T420?
    No, this option is not enabled by default. Adding the boot option to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub (and running update-grub afterwards) will decrease power consumption of the system. It is a partial workaround for the infamous power consumption bug.

Yes I had to do that (the boot option thing).

Also is anyone experiencing flaky wireless while ethernet is completely fine (and other wireless devices are fine)?

Beans
    Distro

Since some weeks, I discover system freezes every now and then. Not sure, what causes them, but if I remember correctly, every time they happen, I listen to music with banshee, and firefox is running.

The freeze is a hard freeze that I'm only able to solve by pressing the power button for several seconds. Neither change to the console works, nor does waiting for minutes help anything. The music doesn't stop, but plays the last second in an endless loop.

I'm running up to date Ubuntu 11.04 with most recent 2.6.38-11-generic amd64 kernel.

Does anybody else discover these kind of hard freezes on a T420? I'm a bit worried whether I might discover hardware issues. The laptop is merely half a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by mejo View Post
    Since some weeks, I discover system freezes every now and then. Not sure, what causes them, but if I remember correctly, every time they happen, I listen to music with banshee, and firefox is running.

The freeze is a hard freeze that I'm only able to solve by pressing the power button for several seconds. Neither change to the console works, nor does waiting for minutes help anything. The music doesn't stop, but plays the last second in an endless loop.

I'm running up to date Ubuntu 11.04 with most recent 2.6.38-11-generic amd64 kernel.

Does anybody else discover these kind of hard freezes on a T420? I'm a bit worried whether I might discover hardware issues. The laptop is merely half a year old.

I'm experiencing the same freezes. What kernel modules do you have loaded? I'm pretty sure this has to do with pluggin the computer into power or off power. If you didn't do it and still get those freezes, I believe it's because the thinkpad's power connector is a little bit flaky. It sometimes disconnects by itself and reconnects immediately (happened to me a couple of times.)

Try this:

http://www.robertbeal.com/1248/ubunt...-battery-power

I used this for another laptop. Going to try on my thinkpad
    Last edited by ultimatebuster; September 29th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast