Thread: Windows share access

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Windows share access

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Shellard View Post
    Thank you again for your attention.

Your speculation on the version of Samba installed on the NAS sounds probable. I do have the latest firmware version on the NAS, but otherwise can't find information on the version of SAMBA.

I have now added the following options to my fstab: rsize=4096,wsize=4096 and this caused no errors, but there is no noticeable change either for better or worse. I won't pretend to have fuly understood this yet however. In the meantime, I have been trying a completely different tack which may perhaps throw light on my slow network problems. I noticed that one of the services available on my NAS was for NFS. I also noticed that the format of the disk would appear to be EXT 3. Presumably then the NAS can offer access both on the basis of NFS and SAMBA. I deinstalled smbfs and smbclient and have now mounted the share as NFS. HOWEVER, whilst I appear to have read and write access to the drive, file transfers are still very slow, comparable to the problems I was experiencing previously.
    I'm sure you understand that when you un-installed smbfs, you removed the Samba client software such as mount.cifs. You can now longer use that host as Samba client to mount Samba shares. But, you can always reinstall it.

You can use NFS if you like. It is only used for Linux (*nix) to Linux hosts though. You must use Samba for Linux to Windows sharing. Also you can't browse to NFS shares like most can with Samba shares. NFS shares (exports is what NFS calls them) must be mounted via fstab or a script.

There are tunables for NFS that are similar to Samba tunables. See here for insight. A NFS search on Google reveals this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I discovered a poorly connected wire in my Ethernet wall socket and having sorted this, file transfer is going fine. Many thanks to capscrew for assistance with mounting my NAS. I note the points about the limitations of using NFS, but I am not seeing this as an issue for me. So, all problems are now now resolved. Now I need to take a rest [speak to my wife, engage with dog, etc. etc.]
    "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft agley
    "
    From: To a Mouse, by Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – Died Dumfries, 21 July 1796)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Shellard View Post
    I discovered a poorly connected wire in my Ethernet wall socket and having sorted this, file transfer is going fine. Many thanks to capscrew for assistance with mounting my NAS. I note the points about the limitations of using NFS, but I am not seeing this as an issue for me. So, all problems are now now resolved. Now I need to take a rest [speak to my wife, engage with dog, etc. etc.]
    Glad I could help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12