Thread: xfce xkb plugin doesn't remember the settings between sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

xfce xkb plugin doesn't remember the settings between sessions

I'm running xubuntu 11.4 on a Lenovo T520 laptop.

I have two keyboard layouts installed and I use the xfce4-xkb-plugin to display the current layout indicator and to set the switching between layouts hotkey.

The problem is that when I restart my computer, the xkb plugin resets all the settings to default, so I have to set them every time my system starts. Can I make it remember the settings (the layout switching hotkey, and the Compose key)?
    Xubuntu 12.10 on Lenovo T520

Beans

Re: xfce xkb plugin doesn't remember the settings between sessions

I have the same issue, I add 3 or 4 different key layouts but after I restart I am left with the main one.

I am talking about xfce4-xkb-plugin in xUBUNTU 11.10

Beans

I think I got a solution - - which works after many reboots!

What I found (by accident) is that upon restart the xfce4-xkb-plugin settings that were loaded were those from the file '/home/user/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/keyboard-layout.xml'

Those from '/home/user/.config/xfce4/panel/xkb-plugin-43.rc' are settings configured by user in Keyboard Layouts properties, but they are not saved after reboot. I do not know exactly why, but I think that any contradiction between these two files makes the customization to be reset to the data in the xml file.

My solution - is the following:

- edit your settings in Settings Manger/Keyboard/Layout (I use Xubuntu) and in the xfce-xkb-plugin settings and make sure they are the same.
    - edit the file '/home/user/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/keyboard-layout.xml' with the same options
    (check the rc file too)

contents of this file should be something like this - where the languages are: Romanian standard version, US and French
    while contents of the rc file mentioned are like this
    look in the rc file and modify your xml file accordingly (I mean in my case I put the 'std' part where it should)
    the 'alt_caps_toggle' (in my case) is only in the rc file but will be remembered if all the rest of the data are the same in the xml.
    Last edited by cipricus; February 27th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Beans

Thank you, cipricus!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I also want to do this but can't find anything to open an xml file. I installed XML Copy editor but it won't open.