Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Wow.

I just walked into a really in depth discussion at the 11th hour. Better late than never, I guess.

Ok, bit of background: I am the Marketing Officer for Tacticalgamer.com, a community website that hosts, you guessed it, tatical (and team based) games. As part of my gig, I review stuff.

There isn't much originality in games, period. Game developers have little, if any, incentive to innovate, because most of the buying public simply want more of the same.

For example, my little community is frothing at the mouth over Armed Assault, which, for all intents and purposes, is a graphical update to Operation Flashpoint. It certainly does not break new ground. The same with Battlefield 2142, Call of Duty 3, and others. Give us more, and don't screw it up too much seems to be the cry of the consumer.

Take a look at the shelves at BestBuy sometime, and you will simply see riffs on the same basic ideas: a simulator, a first person shooter, a MMORPG, etc...sure the technical details and stories are different, but when you boil it all down, within their category, the games are more similar that disimilar to each other, and to their progenitors.

Faced with that, how can we really expect Open Source developers to come up with an original title?

It's hard enough to get something playable shipped than trying to break the mold as well. That's why we see so many Quake clones, or hex based and Warcraft like strategy titles: engines are available on sourceforge, and developers have accepted the limitations of those engines in favor of developing the artwork and the game experience (interface, story, etc.). Reworking a game engine to enable new types of gameplay is an incredibly difficult task.

I'd love to see something completely off the wall original come out of Open Source, like Katamacy Damacy (?) for Nintendo-something new and fresh. I doubt we are going to see it, but I still hold out the hope. I'd be willing to help code, market, or provide MBA type support for such an endeavor.

As for how to generate income from Open Source games, I point to Steam as a model. It's perfect! Valve releases episodic content at $10-20 per hit, and keeps the content coming.

I could see where some enterprising Open Source Game developer says: the basic game is free and open, but we have an additional game type, or expansion pack, that is $5 via paypal, and allows you to play 5 additional levels, play an additional game type, continue the storyline, whatever. So long as the cost is low enough to prevent price resistance, it will work.

RavenOfOdin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by justin whitaker
    Faced with that, how can we really expect Open Source developers to come up with an original title?
    Going according to that logic, how can we expect ANY developers to come up with an original title?

I think the bar is set just a little too high. If a FPS is made, no matter how original it seems, the naysayers will still cry that its a ripoff of UT, which was a ripoff of Quake, which was a ripoff of Doom, which was a ripoff of Wolfenstein, which was etc etc. Same for sports, we're in danger of categorizing every sports game as a ripoff of Pong.
    Last edited by RavenOfOdin; June 16th, 2006 at 06:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RavenOfOdin
    Going according to that logic, how can we expect ANY developers to come up with an original title?
    Well, that's the problem, isn't it?

I actually expect originality not from the developers, but from the mod community. They have nothing to lose in exploring some gaming tangent, and might even come up with something fun: Deathball for UT2004 is one example that comes readily to mind.

Beans

Justin, I think you are making the common mistake of equating free speech and free beer. There is nothing wrong with being paid for coding an open-source project, and the public can't expect to get things for free (as in beer). Free speech is an ideology; free beer is an additional bonus that the public seems to take for granted nowadays. Which is simply wrong.
    No offense meant, but I would not expect a person with a business education to think out of the marketing box and understand free speech.
    That said, there are more than a few possible ways to support an open-source gaming project, and I intend to investigate further into them when I have my game up to a decent state. Perhaps we can talk again at that time.
    Last edited by ZylGadis; June 17th, 2006 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Making money off open source games should be pretty easy, just as I already said before, as well as someone else.... You release the entire game engine open source, and then charge for the content.

For example, you offer a demo version of your game completely free (in terms of both freedom and beer), then you charge for game packs, that are digitally distributed and super easy to install. This way not only does the player have absolute freedom to do whatever they want with the engine, they also get a simple demo version absolutely free of charge, and if they like what they see, they can pay for additional, professional quality content. It's the old shareware model + open source.... and I as an aspiring game designer myself, think it will be the way of the future

Beans

Zephyr: That would be very nice to see, in the future, as a developer myself I think I could allow myself to do that without becoming physically sick or feeling suicidal.

I just don't like the inefficiencies of current game-farm studios and their ridiculous excuse for a pricepoint. I've worked with REAL developers (these guys would never work for the big game studios, and don't often get far) and they can really make some magically efficient code. Ever see an entire GPS-based remote pathfinding AI that's 160 bytes long? This is the kind of stuff I get to see happen, and hopefully as I get more experienced, the kind of stuff I get to do for game development (and yes, the above kitty does game dev too, it's the same person who has developed Battlezome 2 LAN Edition and Wing Commander Universe, look those up if you want some fun).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

An MMORPG would a good start. You won't have to worry about graphics in the beginning and if you plan your code, you can probably separate the game code (gameplay, game rules, items, etc.) from the graphics engine. Actually, you can focus on making the game (gameplay, rules, w/e) and let other people worry about the graphics. Sort of like how KDE, GNOME, XFCE, etc, are all different front ends for Linux.

You could right the 'game' n Python, and have different graphics engines running it. That way, people with flashy graphics (KDE) can play with people who don't like the flashy graphics (GNOME), because they'd be playing the same game (Linux). (Not say that KDE is more flashy than GNOME, but people do express that general sentiment)

BTW: I'm looking into learning Python right now, and if something gets started, I'd like to help.
    Last edited by LordRaiden; June 19th, 2006 at 05:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaiden
    An MMORPG would a good start. You won't have to worry about graphics in the beginning and if you plan your code, you can probably separate the game code (gameplay, game rules, items, etc.) from the graphics engine. Actually, you can focus on making the game (gameplay, rules, w/e) and let other people worry about the graphics. Sort of like how KDE, GNOME, XFCE, etc, are all different front ends for Linux.

You could right the 'game' n Python, and have different graphics engines running it. That way, people with flashy graphics (KDE) can play with people who don't like the flashy graphics (GNOME), because they'd be playing the same game (Linux). (Not say that KDE is more flashy than GNOME, but people do express that general sentiment)

BTW: I'm looking into learning Python right now, and if something gets started, I'd like to help.
    Already on it. I've been considering a multiplatform inter-compatible MMORPG for a little while and that's basically how I planned to implement it, only without touching Python with a ten-foot clown pole.

Beans

I have no development experience, but if you guys need an idea developer I'm gladly help
    and I can a some 2D graphic, but nothing special.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ZylGadis
    Justin, I think you are making the common mistake of equating free speech and free beer. There is nothing wrong with being paid for coding an open-source project, and the public can't expect to get things for free (as in beer). Free speech is an ideology; free beer is an additional bonus that the public seems to take for granted nowadays. Which is simply wrong.
    No offense meant, but I would not expect a person with a business education to think out of the marketing box and understand free speech.
    That said, there are more than a few possible ways to support an open-source gaming project, and I intend to investigate further into them when I have my game up to a decent state. Perhaps we can talk again at that time.
    I think you are responding to someone else, not me, because as you can see from my post, I think some sort of model similar to Guild Wars, MMORPGs, or shareware might be a way to generate revenue. Plenty of people are generating money off of Open Source without compromising the basic nature of the ideology.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast