Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

The problem you're running into is that games are a completely different ball game than any other type of software. Operating systems, office suites, browsers, etc... are all useful to a large group of people, and are necessary to be productive. As while games are there almost completely for entertainment purposes. So as while a developer working on Firefox for example benefits from working on open source by also having a great browser for their own use, the same can not be said for games. Even Richard Stallman has acknoleged that gaming is a different beast to some extent... so in reality, youre probably not going to get very much QUALITY artwork free of charge, nor levels, voice acting, sounds, and so on... but the game's engine is the one place that still benefits from open source like any other software. And really that's the most important part as you'll always be able to have the option of porting past games to future hardware and operating systems. Besides rip-off FPS games and stuff like solitare, it's about the best situation you can hope for.
    Last edited by ZephyrXero; June 1st, 2006 at 09:26 PM.

Beans

As a game developer myself, I can tell you that FOSS gaming is not going to happen, sadly. I'd love to see it, but the problem is there are none of the capitalist pig benefits in gaming that FOSS can still give to business software. You can't sell support, you can't certify technicians, etc. All you can really do is sell server hosting, if that. Will that pay for game development costs in this pathetic industry of multi-million-dollar game projects? Not a bit.

The first thing we need to get FOSS gaming going is a government art subsidy for artists working in the public domain...of course the Americans would never accept something like that, it's too much like their feared communism. It's the only thing that's going to save the industry, with the way things are going, but nobody will see it until it's too late.

By the way, if you happen to know any gamer philanthropists willing to sponsor a major FOSS project, I've got an experienced team willing to walk out of work and put a VERY good game out there; we don't want to go commercial with it because of the way the industry is right now, but if we can FOSS it with enough donations to pay for our cost of living, then we'd be happy to provide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been wanting to create an original, free game, for years.

I'm stuffed with original ideas.. At least... I think they're original!
    I've recently begun to look into learning Boo (a new language a little like python) and I'm alright with most languages... But not proficient. I just know what they're saying - couldn't make anything from scratch. Jack of all trades, as opposed to a programmer. *sniffles*

And the thing that makes me hate most games that are OpenSource? The poor language! D:
    *is a stickler, and proud of it*

If I ever found a group making a free game, I would gladly offer my services as a language stickler and an artist free of charge. I'm unemployed anyway, so no skin off my nose.
    Last edited by Raavea; June 3rd, 2006 at 07:48 PM.
    When you only have two choices, take the third.
    Quote Originally Posted by em es
    You know, I actually feel claustrophobic when I boot into XP.
    Easy ways to install multimedia codecs (wma, dvd playback etc), internet formats (flash, java etc) and more.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kuprin
    By the way, if you happen to know any gamer philanthropists willing to sponsor a major FOSS project, I've got an experienced team willing to walk out of work and put a VERY good game out there; we don't want to go commercial with it because of the way the industry is right now, but if we can FOSS it with enough donations to pay for our cost of living, then we'd be happy to provide.
    This is a chicken and egg scenario. Nobody will sponsor a new project, only an existing one, yet you don't want to start a project because you have no sponsorship.

My advice? Get everybody together one evening and get started on a project, and get a website up detailing it's development. Just a couple of hours a week from each member and you'd have something to show; then you can start solliciting sponsorship by pointing to your existing work and saying, "This'd get done much faster if people helped out."
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg
    This is a chicken and egg scenario
    Actually, scientists and philosophers recently agreed that the chicken (hen) was first. This is because animal's DNA doesn't change while in an egg; it can only evolve in a living animal. So it takes a hen to lay an egg with chicken DNA. Opposite is not possible, an egg can't suddenly change from non-chicken to chicken.

Beans

Hey,

I'm very encouraged by this thread. Several people seem to have some sort of interest in creating an open source game. I agree with earlier comments that the only way to do something like this is to start with large amounts of documentation and planning.

I think a new thread should be started regarding interest in an open source project. If people start posting, then maybe a team of interested people can connect and start nailing out some details. I for one would love to get back to the grind of developing

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by aanderse
    Hey,

I'm very encouraged by this thread. Several people seem to have some sort of interest in creating an open source game.
    And I am one of them. Althrough my programming skills come from university and are 'jack-of-all-trades'-like, I' more and more interested in Python and Pygame (I'll have to learn it on my own).
    So as soon as I find some free time(summer holidays), I'm going to write this kind of game:
    -------------

Python Battle Engine

Heavily inspired by the way combat works in Homm and especially Master of Magic. It will be just a battle system, but it could still be implemented into a civ-like game. The thing is I don't feel able to do something as big as civ-like game, so I'll do combat part only.
    As soon as I have basic IO, board, and display ready, I'll be adding new units, rules, and spells like mad. I have lots of accumulated ideas, and can always come up with more. It will initially look much like Master of Magic combat, but I plan to add a lot of changes/new stuff.

My vision is slowly taking shape. These may not be very informative for people who didn't play MOM, but here it is:
    - before combat, you choose your units using limited amount of money.
    - much smaller power differences between units and experience levels. Elite units won't suddenly become 2x tougher, for example.
    - no heroes in combat or their combat abilities severely limited.
    - all figures in a squad can be wounded, not just top figure. This will allow for healing and additional unit stat: focus (higher focus means more damage concentrated on fewer figures)
    - unlike in MOM, flyers and ground troops will be able to occupy same square.
    - debuff spells which actually aren't countered by magic resistance; bad enchantments will stick sooner or later. It's a long standing tradition to make hostile enchantments crappy in games, I'm going to end it.
    - I'll eventually implement multiplayer via email or something. AI sounds much harder and will be postponed.
    - at some point, when I become reasonably fluent in Python, I'll try to implement hexes instead of squares.
    - new abilities on new units, for example charriots would deal a lot of damage against lightly armored units, but perform pretty bad against heavier units. Horde/proximity bonus for orcs. Two or more melee attacks on some melee units, each with its pros and cons.
    - lots of crazy spells, for example infection (deals damage to already wounded squads),
    - towers/fortifications have to be manned a'la Heroes4
    - more
    - more
    KICS principle (Keep It Complex, Stupid !). Complexity is implemented as long as it has positive effect on gameplay and encourages more choices. Choices are GOOD in strategy/tactical games.
    -------------
    By the way: if you'd like to check out Master of Magic, I recommend either Master of Magic (dosbox emulator + game download at underdogs) or Age of Wonders:Shadow Magic, which is said to be Master of Magic clone.
    ----------
    Now, back to my uni assignment....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by B0rsuk
    And I am one of them. Althrough my programming skills come from university and are 'jack-of-all-trades'-like, I' more and more interested in Python and Pygame (I'll have to learn it on my own).
    I am also starting serious Python programming soon. I got lots of schoolwork, but 2 more weeks and summer break begins
    I have never worked with pygame, but I have(some) experience with Python(it's soooo easy to learn).
    If you would do some open source/public project for your game, I would really like to participate.I'm into 3D modelling and graphics in general, so maybe I could be of use in that area .

Cheers and keep us up to date with your ..future plans pls

Beans

Umm. I can see something gathering speed here. I am quite experienced with servers; I thought I would do a server for a MMOS, and then leave whoever wants to do the client (or clients). With our various skills and focuses, I think there is huge potential for a game.

Beans

Well every new ideea has it's own potential
    I have one dilema: what would the best start for a game be: using an already made engine, or simply start from scratch?!Using an existing one would seem easier, but trying to understand every piece of code would take at least the same time as writing it again..IMHO

I just started browsing pyGame related sites. I played a bit with SDL and opengl a while back...Is pyGame able to use OpenGL or just 2D routines?!

I just hope people won't get to enthusiastic, because I'm sure thousands of such projects have been started over the years, and a few are finished or close to a finish.
    One thing I want to point out. There are alot of nice GPL games out there, but I simply hate the GFX. I do realise though that the people that develop theese games are probably programmers, not artists. I mean..take S.C.O.U.RG.E. for example.Looks really promissing, but the graphics don't(the devs have a section on they're forum where you can post your ideeas/3d models etc.I'll do some ring models for them in a few days, because it looks like the kind of game that could go far.

A blog/thread with "brainstoming" for a future game would be nice

Since we like python, one question: are there any nice games being developed that use pyGame?!(I don't mean mario/tetris type games(those can be fun, but they're no Diablo )

Cheers

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast