Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Try linux-gamers.net

Try gaming.gwos.org

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Clay85
    I don't understand how open source games would get the revenue to be able to create games similar to closed source games. But, I don't understand anything about revenue and open-source (I imagine a bunch of ubuntu coders in africa living under bridges in cardboard boxes). Maybe this is a topic for a different forum.
    I can't imagine a forum better for this purpose than this forum. Ok, there are some others, dedicated forums, but they don't have the traffic required to have a proper discussion.

You're right in the fact that some game genres require a big budget/lots of work. These genres are primarily FPS/FPP, RTS, (MMO)RPGs. In case of MMORPGS you also need a mighty server to run it, unless you take the NWN approach, which is not really Massive. Apparently people can do decent freesimulations/racer games with opengl, but there's only so much innovation you can put in a game which by definition tries to recreate reality.
    But there are game genres that can do just fine with 2D graphics and not terribly efficient code. These are puzzle games, turn-based strategy, and roguelike. These kinds of games can be successful with *just* an interesting idea/game mechanic. You don't play the above mentioned games for graphics. Ideas aren't that expensive, thinking is something you can do just about anywhere.
    DROD (Deadly Rooms Of Death) is massively popular despite fairly modest 2D graphic. Dominions1/2 has hardcore fanbase and and Dominions3 is about to be released (ok, this one is commercial, but it sells well and is being made by 2 - two - people). Linley's Dungeon crawl has ascii graphics and is still played and being developed today.
    ------------------
    King Bahamut: any particular game from there you have in mind ? I've seen plenty of linux games websites.
    Last edited by B0rsuk; May 24th, 2006 at 11:04 PM.

Beans

I think it's unfair to pigeon-hole open source games as unoriginal. I don't see too much innovation coming out of the commercial game world - original titles are few and far between and usually involve millions of dollars of investment.

Sure, many open source games take well established ideas, but most open source developers barely have time to code their games, let alone invest the kind of effort in innovation that you see in things like Spore. Most open source games spring from frustration in an existing game - like Freeciv, FreeOrion, OpenTTD, UFO:AI, and Wormux.

There as many in-progress open source games that have a lot of potential. Check out Battle of Antargis that takes inspiration from Power Monger (one for the old timers to remember). I also like the way Scourge is going.

Besides, just what is original? Games that take existing concepts are original in my mind - things like Glest or Vega Strike (which, btw, is probably the most potential I've ever seen in an open source game if they could just organise themselves and their contributors better - so much good stuff happens on the forums but takes forever or never to get into the game).

When people do try to be innovative (think Windstille or Worldforge) the community isn't prepared to help out. People find it much easier to "invest" in an open source game that is based on an already-known quantity. If they can't envisage the completed product (and, by definition, original games surely are something new) then they can't commit their free time to the development of that product. This leaves the developers of original open source games fighting a long and lonely battle to establish their game. Most will lose that battle as real life changes people's priorities on a regular basis.

Good and original open source games do exist. You just have to lower your expectation away from the standard of commercial games and be prepared to look a little harder and try a little harder. Open source games aren't for everyone, but personally I'll never pay for a game again (nor pirate them).

Beans

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Wesnoth is open-source, and one of a kind http://wesnoth.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qalimas
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Wesnoth is open-source, and one of a kind http://wesnoth.org
    Wesnoth is quite far from being one-of-a-kind. Panzer General springs right to mind, as well as the other Generals. Of course, that does not mean Wesnoth is crap - I enjoy it immensely; just that your statement is incorrect.

Beans

I'm sorry, I have never heard of those games, excuse my ignorance ^^' How old are those games, do they work on Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by ZylGadis
    You have one here.
    and another one here, though I'm not that profecent with anything yet.

Beans

About TA Spring.

TA Spring is an awesome game, even though the defualt mod takes content that was used in the original (Total Annihilation) there are many awesome mods that actually don't.

There linux support is lacking extremely, but by this time next you if you wish to wait i am sure the linux client may be ready...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by B0rsuk
    Hey

After a few years of observation, I reached a disturbing conclusion. I'd like nothing more than you to prove me wrong.

There are Open Source games of impressive quality. Especially no original games.
    I am quite impressed with TC:E, which is not very original and not open source either, but it is free and IMHO it's better than the game it was based on (Counterstrike). As a side note, Counterstrike started as a free (as in beer) mod for Halflife and as far as I know, no such game had been made before.

As other posters have pointed out earlier, not much good has come from the commercial front either. Maybe a bit too much time, money and effort is spent on mindboggling graphics?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qalimas
    I'm sorry, I have never heard of those games, excuse my ignorance ^^' How old are those games, do they work on Linux?
    I swear I already answered this but no post seems to be in the thread?

Anyway, yes, they work on Linux.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast