Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Re: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Quote Originally Posted by Abras View Post
    What I can't seem to understand is the big difference between indie freeware games and indie open source games. Look at places like TIGSource or IndieGames.com and you'll find a steady stream of new, interesting, and often innovative titles. So why can't the open source community match that? Frankly, I've yet to come up with a good, solid answer to that question. All I can say is that I hope we do make some headway, the sooner the better.

So yeah, this discussion is a good idea. It helps bring this problem out into the open and maybe even answer a few of the proposed questions. But it also proves that talk isn't worth much. This thread was started way back in May, 2006 and in that time the situation has changed very little. There is a little light, though. Free Gamer is a pretty active little community aimed at open source game devs. It's the only site I know of centered around open source games that actually seems to be driving some innovation and the closest thing to an indie games community we Linux users have. May Free Gamer live a long happy life and may open source games flourish
    Not like I know for sure, but I've always felt that the difference between the OSS games and Indy games stems from the kind of developers in those fields. OSS devs usually come from "learned it myself" or "university" backgrounds. Indy devs usually come from being hardcore gamers of some kind or another. OSS devs, therefore have a bigger world view, but less passion, where Indy devs are much more focused, and have no qualms with a commercial system (since they grew up accepting that system).

Me and my two college buds have started a community/project/company that hybridizes indy and OSS development. Its called MirthKit, and the basic ideas behind it are:
    1. What if you could see the source of commercial games?
    2. What if OSS had a unified place to view games that's available on any platform?
    3. What if the sponsor of such a community only benefited when the community benefited?

More info:
    http://www.mirthkit.com

If you have any comments about it, especially including ways you think our policies could be friendlier, I want to hear it.
    Last edited by curvedinfinity; September 5th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Abras View Post
    So yeah, this discussion is a good idea. It helps bring this problem out into the open and maybe even answer a few of the proposed questions. But it also proves that talk isn't worth much. This thread was started way back in May, 2006 and in that time the situation has changed very little.
    Talking won't be worth nothing if the message and lesson doesn't reach the right ears, the ears of capable or would-be game developers, so they would avoid the pitfalls where many have been caught in.

Personally, I believe in what has been said, by me and some of the others here as well. Curvedinfinity, I believe that you're in the right direction. I also think that we think very similarly and I'd love to be able to work with you in the future. I took a look at the your website, it looks promising and hope it succeeds. (I'll try to learn the Squirrel language (I think too many people get caught up in the whole 3D thing, forgetting what can be done with 2D).

Putting money where my mouth is, I have started searching a few days ago about some OSS games I could help in (that was how I found this thread). I'm considering the gameblender.org community project or Mech Warfare Co-Op, but I've not decided on anything yet. Although I might need to do some hardcore "skill-up" before becoming useful. Someday, when I'm ready I plan to lead my own game development.

Definitely. The key to it will certainly be everybody being less ambitious and working together. I'm just glad you think I'm lending my hand in the right direction.

Edit: It's Chase, by the way.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011