Thread: Suggestions for a simple Linux music game for kids?

Beans

Suggestions for a simple Linux music game for kids?

My daughter is 3 1/2 and recently had a ball playing Giggles Music at the library. I am wondering if there is a Linux clone of it, or if there's any other game that lets you type keys to play musical instrument sounds.

It would need to be something with a very simple interface. A lot of games these days that are supposedly for young children are very difficult to learn, often because the interface is completely nonstandard and it's hard to discover things or even figure out what the game is about. (Half the games on the library computers, I can't even figure out how to exit, and I've been using computers since *I* was 3.)

We are looking for: type a key, instrument makes noise, joy ensues.
    A couple of menus in the beginning (like to choose the instrument) would be fine.

I've tried the various MIDI piano programs but so far they all require a lot of extra setup with jack and/or timidity.

Giggles Music plays an .mp3 of music behind what the user is playing, and there are some fun animations (bass drum jiggles when you play it) but that stuff isn't as important.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Suggestions for a simple Linux music game for kids?

Have you had a look at Dou Dou linux?

Quote "Standard DoudouLinux is delivered with about fifty applications that have been specially chosen to be accessible for children from 2 years old. These applications cover the following topics:

* Education → teach children while having fun [1]
    * Fun → have fun with games, easy to access but not necessarily simplistic
    * Work → write texts, calculate, communicate, etc.
    * Multimedia → listen to music, watch videos, play or create music, or create animation movies"

http://www.doudoulinux.org/spip/english/about/

Beans

Well, she has Qimo (a kids variant of Xubuntu) now. We like the built-ins that come with it. I'll have a look at the Dou Dou game packages though. Maybe I can install some of them without changing the whole operating system.
    thanks!

Beans

Looks like vkeybd is the only thing close to this in Doudou Linux--another virtual piano keyboard that requires timidity setup when you run it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

FYI -- Linux Alternative Project

Changing OSs is one of the learned common tasks of a linux geek. It's much easier and more voluntary than a mandatory response to the BSOD.

Nonetheless, Clonezilla is a good preventative backup utlity to get familiar with once a person has the linux distro where it is desired.

I, too, once favored Qimo, but DouDou has surpassed it, IMHO. (Is she worth it?)
    Have fun! Regards to all!
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hreichgott View Post
    Well, she has Qimo (a kids variant of Xubuntu) now. We like the built-ins that come with it. I'll have a look at the Dou Dou game packages though. Maybe I can install some of them without changing the whole operating system.
    thanks!
    You're welcome!