Thread: Missing disk space

Beans

Missing disk space

Hello everybody,

(and sorry in advance for my English).

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04. Today after a power failure the system performed the usual disk comprobations (wich took a very long time) and when it finally started I found that my Incoming folder (for aMule) was empty. But I wouldn't post here about that: the thing is df -h shows that the size of my /home partition (which contains the Incoming folder) has decreased by almost 80 Gb (the total space, not the used one).

I ran fsck in single user mode for the /home partition after unmounting it and it shows 0 bad blocks.

I haven't noticed any more missing files or problems by now, but would like to know what has happened, and where those 80 Gb of disk space have gone!

Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Missing disk space

Hello and Welcome

Try rebooting and check again . I had a similar incident and when the power came back on I started the computer as you did. Ubuntu did not report the correct disk space until rebooting again.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by anbelo View Post
    (and sorry in advance for my English)..

Your English is better than some English speakers who post here.
    Michael

Beans

Thank you for your reply, Frogs Hair (and thank you too, audiomick ). I have rebooted several times since then, and the problem remains. You can see it in the following screen captures:

df -h shows 745G for /home

While Disk Utility still shows the original 812 G:

So it's exactly 67 G that have gone missing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by anbelo View Post
    So it's exactly 67 G that have gone missing.
    Not quite. Disk Utility reports in Gigabytes (base 10: 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes) and df in Gibibytes (base 2: 1GiB = 1024x1024x1024 bytes). Your 812GB (gigabyte) partition is equal to 756GiB (gibibytes) so there's still a discrepancy of 11Gib for which I can't think of a reason offhand.

What does Disk Utility tell you about the sizes for sda2 and sda6? Apart from the discrepancy caused by reporting in GB, do they show a difference too?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thank you very much for the clarification, cofeecat.

For sda2 and sda6 I have:

df -h
    sda2 99 GiB = 106.3 GB
    sda6 23 GiB = 24.7 GB

Disk Utility
    sda2 107 GB
    sda6 25 GB

I have also looked for the missing Incoming files in the lost+found directory, but they're not there (du -h lost+found returns 29M).

Beans

Don't know if it's related to the problem, but Disk Utility shows the following message for the logical partition that contains /home: "WARNING: The partition is misaligned by 1024 bytes. This may result in very poor performance. Repartitioning is suggested."