Thread: help .ecryptfs it taking over my whole harddrive! This could also be happening to you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy help .ecryptfs it taking over my whole harddrive! This could also be happening to you

It seems to be copying everything in my home folder! It's suppose to be encrypting my files, but I don't need that. My home folder is already encrypted. I don't need two copies of the same thing.

1) Can I just delete this? I found no answers on if I can just delete files from this. I'm in the middle of school and cant afford to break my whole system right now! Please help!

2) How do I stop this assault on my system?

3) What mistake did I make that caused ecryptfs to take over my system? It's 50% (a bit less now that i've looked again, but close to 50%) of my whole harddrive. When did I enable this thing?

4) Check to see if this is happening to you in /home/.ecryptfs
    Last edited by Isaacgallegos; July 31st, 2011 at 01:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: help .ecryptfs it taking over my whole harddrive! This could also be happening to

LOL

This is normal behavior for Ecryptfs.

You have essentially two copies of the data , one encrypted and the other decrypted.

See man ecryptfs or http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/Ecryptfs
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Re: help .ecryptfs it taking over my whole harddrive! This could also be happening to

Why thank you, but I can't find any of my answers there.

But that page does give me a new question:
    So this is the only option when you "encrypt home folder"? It takes up twice as much space on your harddrive?!?

Someone please tell me, THIS IS MY ONLY COMPUTER! I'm deleting tons of work I've done trying to fix this mess and keep my system floating.

CAN I DELETE THIS ENCRYPTFS FILE WITH OUT BREAKING EVERYTHING!?!?!? PLEASE TELL ME!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacgallegos View Post
    Why thank you, but I can't find any of my answers there.

But that page does give me a new question:
    So this is the only option when you "encrypt home folder"? It takes up twice as much space on your harddrive?!?

Someone please tell me, THIS IS MY ONLY COMPUTER! I'm deleting tons of work I've done trying to fix this mess and keep my system floating.

CAN I DELETE THIS ENCRYPTFS FILE WITH OUT BREAKING EVERYTHING!?!?!? PLEASE TELL ME!!!!
    Yes ecryptfs keeps essentially two copies of your data, one decrypted in your home direcory, and the second encrypted . The specifics are going to vary a bit by version of Ubuntu.

Yes if you delete .ecryptfs you will break ecryptfs and loose data.

If you do not want this, back up your data, make a new user, and restore your data from back up.

How large is your hard drive ? Perhaps it is time for you to look at additional storage or backing up to CD / DVD ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

I'm on a netbook with 15 gigs. I might have to drive to a friends house or something then never encrypt my home folder again... Major bummer.

My home folder is 7.3 gigs *2 with encrptfs .

Thanks.

Solved: Reformat system.
    Last edited by Isaacgallegos; July 31st, 2011 at 02:52 AM.