Thread: Mogwai (aka Linux Mint Sid)

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mogwai (aka Linux Mint Sid)

What is Mogwai?

To put it simply, it's a discussion/project/recipe for upgrading(?) Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) to unstable and installing Gnome 3.0 shell in it. If there is interest shown there might even be a custom iso available in the near future.

Click here for the latest recipe for Mogwai

How the name Mogwai was chosen: (Revised)

A few months ago I went searching for a name for another project. What I discovered was that in African culture gnome=gremlin, went searching for what they were called and came back with Mogwai. The name was used in the movie "Gremlins" & is probably Chinese in origin. For some reason I had it in my head the name was African but when it was checked recently no African link was found. Anyway, it's a cute name & we'll keep it. Trying to install Gnome 3.0 shell on Debian does unleash the gremlins, so the name fits it pretty well.

Screenshot.jpg

What is the best way to use the information in this thread?

If you're looking for info on how to install Gnome 3.0 shell on a Debian distro (including LMDE), start at the last post & work your way backwards. The ongoing chatter is the result of experimentation in attempt to streamline & simplify the process.

Helpful links:

Download Linux Mint Debian

How to install GNOME 3 on Debian testing aka wheezy

Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Fix: Cannot install Remastersys on LMDE

Commands to get Debian tweaker script smxi:
    (You need to use sudo or be in root terminal)

Code:
    cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/smxi.zip && unzip smxi.zip && smxi
    * I expanded the scope of my experimentation, quickest & easiest method (for me) was to start with a Debian net install.

Desktop-Mogwai.jpg

Overview-Mogwai.jpg
    Last edited by cbowman57; August 15th, 2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Shifted direction, using Debian net install

Beans

Re: Mogwai (aka Linux Mint Sid)

Looks like a fancy way of saying 'FIRST!'..... Heee ^^

Beans
    Distro

First? Don't know about that but I've been playing with LMDE for a couple weeks & it started a discussion that probably didn't belong in the other thread.

Have you been tinkering Naiki?

Beans

No links or anything in your first post when I replied just 1 line of text ^^

Haven't tinkered, been a while scince I had a go at Mint, been put off by the Debian direction a bit ^^

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    No links or anything in your first post when I replied just 1 line of text ^^

Haven't tinkered, been a while scince I had a go at Mint, been put off by the Debian direction a bit ^^
    Yeah, I just needed an url to link to the other thread.

I've used Mint before, and toyed with Debian some but this is new ground for me so I'm making plenty of mistakes.

Now post #1 has a little more content that makes some sense.

Beans

Love the name, Mogwai, obviously from the Gremlins movie

Beans
    Distro

Ok, some lessons learned.

1. Easier to start with LMDE the Xfce spin.
    2. Local repository, I found I was doing a lot of reinstallations and have a slow connection. If you have space create a local repository for your deb files. After you add/delete, make changes copy or move the packages from /var/cache/apt/archives to your repo. When you do your safe & dist-upgrades later you can transfer those .debs to that directory (/var/cache/apt/archives) & save a lot of downloading. (This also might apply to those of you testing Oneiric)
    Last edited by cbowman57; July 30th, 2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Clarification