Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mogwai (aka Linux Mint Sid)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mogwai (aka Linux Mint Sid)

@Keith; Can you retrace your steps & post your method? I've got a feeling I'm trying to do it the hard way.

I'm still feeling my way along, trying to get more familiar with Debian, LMDE gives it some familiarity & contains a lot of the non-free packages by default, but it's still a little alien to me. Especially the difference in package management in comparision to Ubuntu & it's ppa's.

The one I built on LMDE Xfce last night is running real well for me too, but I did a lot of installation using synaptic. There has to be an easier way.

Beans

Lols .....

I actually made a mistake last night ..... and thought I had got the debian version

So added the debian SID repository to it and started updating it ,,,,, no sweat as it only added about 4 packages ,,,,
    which I can see and remove in synaptic ..... if I want to ....

as you know disableing repositories is no big deal neither ...... so have done that ....
    (once I realised what had happened .....)

So then just updated as I would with the noral Natty to ONeiric ....
    using a link to set the repositories to Oneiric ....

Then dist upgraded it .......

and all the usual happened that I have already been through before .....

Just a case of retracing my log that I keep in my mail in Ubuntu ...... and doing it all again

Last night though ...... no this morning 6:30 AM ..... when I rebooted ..... it was just a blank blue screen

Woke at 2:30 after a bit of shut eye ...... and continued with it ..... and things started to come together,

Now it all works well ..... but its the 3.0.0-7 kernel .... the latest Nvidia driver
    and its based on the mint 11 distro 32 bit ..... so the next step now is to do it all again
    with the 64 bit one ...... only trouble is my desktop test machines are 32 bit ....
    so .....
    ( I have created a remastersys of this though and it seemed to go well - not burnt it to Dvd yet to check though )

Do I continue with this ..... which is basically MINT oneiric with the Debian Repository added
    or start again ......

and risk it on my main laptop ..... which is the 64 bit one and my Production machine ..... ?
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 30th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well it's up to you how you want to continue but I'm going to base mine on LMDE

Starting with LMDE is a completely different animal than using Ubuntu or Mint.

Beans

Ok I am ready to go

Got the Debain one in and it works on the desktop machine ...... its MINT 10 though ,,,,, is there a Debian 11

kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64 .....

Give me a link to the one your using if its different and we will both start on the same page so to speak ..

Beans
    Distro

Download Linux Mint Debian (added to post #1)

Yeah, the LMDE doesn't use versions, just incorporates the date the iso was made. I've used both, the Gnome & Xfce editions, and I think the Xfce edition is a better starting point.
    Last edited by cbowman57; July 31st, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

Ok I need to download and burn the XFCE one .... 64 bit or 32 bit ?

I have the 64 bit Debian v10 - may save this for another time though ....

(while the other is downloading will install this too though)

So will use xfce 32 bit ..... ok its downloading now ...... 1.0 meg per second ... so it should not be long ....

Am downloading it now ...... will post again when its burnt and installed

I will catch up to you .... sometime tonight this is going to be a long session .....

and will try to install both on the USB drive ..... and gives me two chances of screwing up then lols
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 30th, 2011 at 11:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Cool, I need to find that post that told how to get Remastersys working under LMDE. From my experiment yesterday I managed to get it to work but to install I had to downgrade to gdm 2.32 and used the Remastersys Installation app.

Found the link for a fix, added to post #1.
    Last edited by cbowman57; July 31st, 2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Update

Beans

Ok we can get Gnome-Shell working as gnome v2.32 ..... and then burn a remastersys disk ,,,,

then upgrade later .....

to 3.1.3 or whatever Debian have and try another one ..... see how far we get ...

at least this way we can document it all and keep check on what we are doing ,,,,,,

See what works and what works ..... if anything .....

Ok slightly different installer for Debian ,,,,, first problem it hung .... on the empty partition did not format it ....
    ( and the installer would not format it for some reason )

so used gparted and formated and set it up myself as / root ....

now its going quite happily ... quite fast too .....

meanwhile the xfce is being burned to another DVD ...... just where to put it ..... ?

Will see how the 64 bit Debian installs and works first ..... if its no good will just overwrite it ....
    otherwise might have been better splitting the partition in two ..... oh well .....

no problem the 64 bit just gave up 3/4 of way through at ttynaame3.gz ..... so it gets wiped and the 32 bit xfce is going on there now ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 31st, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I just got Remastersys working, burning the resulting iso to flash now.

Beans

Nice one ..... I am 1/4 the way through installing XFCE and it runs fast from the DVD too

nice .....

I just hate the screensavers while installing why dont they disable them by default ....

.... with 512 Meg memory ... they can kill a installation ... ( sure thats what happened on the 64 bit one a minute ago )

Nope same has happened again 3/4 of way through ..... just stopped dead ....

One more go and going to alter this partion size .... just in case there is a problem on the hard drive.....

will skip the first gig .... and leave it as empty space ....

Moved the installation on a GIg and also reformated both the swap and the 14 Gig root for it ....

hopefully this time it will go on ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 31st, 2011 at 12:54 AM.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast