Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Ubuntu Installation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Beans
    41
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Ubuntu Installation

    This is my first Ubuntu/Non Windows installation.. So obviously, i have no clue wat am doin!

    i have an HP Pavilion laptop(model TX1004), with 4gig memory, 640 gig HDD, 1 GB ATI Radeon video card, running on an i5 proc..

    currrently it is on Windows 7 Ultimate, and i am assuming this shouldn’t matter.. but anyway..

    alright, so.. i downloaded the ubuntu v11.04 .iso file onto a FLASH DRIVE (2GB) from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download, by clicking the big orange button(changed it to 64 bit). It was around 690 MB
    On my computer, an .iso file opens with winrar. so i extracted the files on the SAME pendrive that had the .iso file. it was NOT placed inside a folder or anything, but in the main page itself.. i dunno wat to call it though(root drive?) ok.. lemme put it this way: the files were extracted to G:\, and NOT G:\<Folder>, or anything

    Ok.. while attempting to boot from the flash drive(by hitting F9 while POSTing), it said the disk had an error. i burnt .iso files onto a CD, using the default windows iso burner application

    towards de end i encountered an error(i don't recall wat it was), but i am sure it happped AFTER it Verified the Disk

    so this time i tried Booting fromthe CD, and it went thru.. it showed the UBUNTU insignia with some 5 dots below it trying to load something, but it didn't go beyond that. i tried this about 3 times but the same thing happened.. i know jus by reading this you'd say it is probably because it didn't burn correctly but if you have a diffent answer PLEASE HELP..


    it would be great if you could also tell me if there is a seperate version of Ubuntu 11.04 for AMD procs and Intel procs..

    Thanks in advance
    Stay true to metal \m/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Kenvetil View Post
    On my computer, an .iso file opens with winrar. so i extracted the files on the SAME pendrive that had the .iso file.
    That's where you went wrong but don't worry, it's a reasonably common mistake.

    Go back to the download page and click on "Step 2 - Burn your CD or create a USB drive" click on the radio button for USB stick and click the "Show me how" button. It'll give you instructions for how to get turn the .ISO file into a bootable USB stick.

    it would be great if you could also tell me if there is a seperate version of Ubuntu 11.04 for AMD procs and Intel procs.
    Nope. The 64-bit version is called amd64, but works exactly the same on Intel machines.
    Last edited by Paqman; July 30th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Beans
    155
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    i personally am a fan of unetbootin, and it can be downloaded for linux or windows here:
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

    download unetbootin for windows in your case, then you have the option if you haven't downloaded an iso you can choose the distro and the usb stick and it will download and setup a bootable live linux for ubuntu for example

    alternatively if you have already downloaded an iso, as it appears you have, you can click on the radio button for the iso, then browse and click on the iso from the location you have it stored, select the usb stick and then install a bootable linux.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Beans
    41
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    thnx a ton bro.. will try dat n see if it works
    Stay true to metal \m/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Beans
    155
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    by the way i dunno if you're planning on setting up a dual boot system or just ubuntu, or just trying out ubuntu, but once you have installed it to the USB, you may have to go into your BIOS and if you have the option to set the boot order so that USB drive is ahead of the hard drive so that it will boot from the USB drive, then you can "test drive" ubuntu without making any changes to your computer.
    But if you have a typical windows installation and oly one hard drive, windows is probably occupying all of that, so if you intend to do an actual installation of ubuntu on your hard drive, you will need to shrink your windows partiton...pretty good tutorial here:
    http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+b...erfect-harmony

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Beans
    41
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    Hello Rob.. thnx for posting!

    i am planning not for a dual boot, but most likely triple boot..! planning to install Lion as well.. i have currently 6 partitions, around 100 gig each.. i dispise windows, n i have it mostly to run iTunes , n of course certain other applications like guitar pro(which i know runs on a mac as well) n some "PC based games".. i hate the monopoly of Microsoft!

    i have reserved a partition each for ubuntu and Lion

    pardon my ignorance, but i don't think i'd need to change the boot order from BIOS, as i can opt for the same by hitting F9 while POSTing/booting.. i might be wrong.. could you please clrify that?
    Stay true to metal \m/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Beans
    41
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by robgraves View Post
    by the way i dunno if you're planning on setting up a dual boot system or just ubuntu, or just trying out ubuntu, but once you have installed it to the USB, you may have to go into your BIOS and if you have the option to set the boot order so that USB drive is ahead of the hard drive so that it will boot from the USB drive, then you can "test drive" ubuntu without making any changes to your computer.
    But if you have a typical windows installation and oly one hard drive, windows is probably occupying all of that, so if you intend to do an actual installation of ubuntu on your hard drive, you will need to shrink your windows partiton...pretty good tutorial here:
    http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+b...erfect-harmony
    Hello Rob.. thnx for posting!
    i am planning not for a dual boot, but most likely triple boot..! planning to install Lion as well.. i have currently 6 partitions, around 100 gig each.. i dispise windows, n i have it mostly to run iTunes , n of course certain other applications like guitar pro(which i know runs on a mac as well) n some "PC based games".. i hate the monopoly of Microsoft!

    i have reserved a partition each for ubuntu and Lion

    pardon my ignorance, but i don't think i'd need to change the boot order from BIOS, as i can opt for the same by hitting F9 while POSTing/booting.. i might be wrong.. could you please clrify that?
    Stay true to metal \m/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Beans
    155
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Kenvetil View Post
    pardon my ignorance, but i don't think i'd need to change the boot order from BIOS, as i can opt for the same by hitting F9 while POSTing/booting.. i might be wrong.. could you please clrify that?
    it may already be setup to boot from usb, i'm not exactly sure what your F9 in the boot process does, but if it boots from an external device, then cool, you're ready to rock, but if after setting up the usb with unetbootin or whatever, you reboot, and it just boots back into windows, then i would figure that something in your boot order in BIOS needs to be changed. are you using usb or CD? and have you tried creating a bootable USB/CD ubuntu live and rebooting yet?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Beans
    41
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by robgraves View Post
    it may already be setup to boot from usb, i'm not exactly sure what your F9 in the boot process does, but if it boots from an external device, then cool, you're ready to rock, but if after setting up the usb with unetbootin or whatever, you reboot, and it just boots back into windows, then i would figure that something in your boot order in BIOS needs to be changed. are you using usb or CD? and have you tried creating a bootable USB/CD ubuntu live and rebooting yet?
    yes sir. done dat. burnt de iso onto a CD, and extracted it to a flash drive.. either of dem don't seem to work(what exactly happens is mentioned in my initial query).. but like paqman suggested, i would try to download ubuntu again from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download, and go to step 2.. i was at atep one earlier.. so i'll have to hold ma horses until den.. but we'll see..
    Stay true to metal \m/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Beans
    155
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Kenvetil View Post
    yes sir. done dat. burnt de iso onto a CD, and extracted it to a flash drive.. either of dem don't seem to work(what exactly happens is mentioned in my initial query).. but like paqman suggested, i would try to download ubuntu again from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download, and go to step 2.. i was at atep one earlier.. so i'll have to hold ma horses until den.. but we'll see..
    you don't want to extract the iso, you either want to burn it to a CD using an option to either burn an iso or burn image, or using some program like unetbootin or pendrivelinux to use the iso to create a bootable USB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •