Thread: Stream-ripping - is it generally no longer possible?

Beans

Stream-ripping - is it generally no longer possible?

Hi. I recently started playing with 'streamripper' and after much searching, I have only managed to find a few stations that allow reliable ripping, all others result in a continuous series of 'reconnecting...' & 'skipping...' messages. This seems to apply to all Shoutcast streams. The ones that do allow ripping do so reliably and for hours on end, whereas most of the others won't rip reliably but do provide a seemingly uninterrupted and continuous listening experience when 'streamripper' isn't invloved. I have attempted changing its 'userAgent' setting to the likes of "Winamp" to no avail...

So my question, have most stations managed to make ripping their streams a thing of the past? In frustration, I even tried the shareware offering 'StationRipper' for M$, with generally the same results. By way of an example, below are URLs to 2 stations, the first rips perfectly, the second doesn't.

WVVD-LP Vida 96.5
    http://173.192.58.37:8002/

BuenoMusica
    http://216.59.35.34:8030/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Stream-ripping - is it generally no longer possible?

omelette no problem with second one see attached file

simply use VLC and it will copy any stream

1. open VLC go view/advanced controls

2. then copy your url
    go Media/ copy location from clipboard

3. hit red button bottom left of VLC and again to stop

4. find file in Music folder
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Hola Shantiq, thanks for the response & PM. However I was specifically referring to the usage of 'streamripper' - the reason being that this (as well as 'StationRipper' for M$) automatically cuts the real-time continuous stream into individual songs, while also naming each with the correct Artist and Song-title, and all in real-time, which is pretty cool when you think about it!!!

Seems I'm coming late to this party though, most internet stations now seem to be including 'false' meta-data in the stream to prevent this! But I can't find anyone really complaining about it online, which I find strange...

I use VLC for recording video streams regularly which works great, and could use it for recording radio streams but I would then have to step through hours of audio, cutting & renaming individual songs - pretty laborious I would imagine!

As a side-note, I have just downloaded & installed the 'Live365' radio application running under Wine and I'm surprised at how well it works! Well done Wine, and the 'Radio365' application is pretty nice as well...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

ok omelette i never knew you could do that
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

I was looking for stream ripping program that automatically cut the stream by songs when I ran into this form and I would like to say I found one solution it is called stream tuner. Food for thought for you guys who said it wasn't possible. I should also say wine is not needed. It automatically rips them into a folder as you title it. Yes it works on 11.04. Though you have to put all the information in manually under the presentation section. and it wont play any stream on my computer through this program. but it does record.
    Last edited by exiledangel420; August 12th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi, a new Ubuntu user here (3 days approx.). I formerly used Freecorder, and am looking for a similar tool to replace it. I have been recording from Live365.com using QA record, but want the tracks split. I will try stream tuner. Thanks.
    I have another Q- is there a program anyone can recommend for recording from a USB turntable ? When I converted to Ubuntu (11.04) I wiped out all windows files (Yay !) and now cannot find the software disk for my Ion Profile Pro turntable. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Update- Stream Tuner works very well, although not so well with live365. It works with Xiph, which links 100s or 1000s of stations for free. Haven't yet figured out how to use it with live365. Will update later. Thanks again for the info.

Beans

I don't know if this helps you at all, but I use the downthemall add on for Firefox to download the Alex Jones stream from Shoutcast. I also use Rythmbox to listen to Shoutcast streams. There is an option to add stations. It's pretty easy to figure out.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ineedwifihelp View Post
    I don't know if this helps you at all, but I use the downthemall add on for Firefox to download the Alex Jones stream from Shoutcast. I also use Rythmbox to listen to Shoutcast streams. There is an option to add stations. It's pretty easy to figure out.
    Thanks- I will try it.

No response yet on USB turntable question, so I will start a thread on it. ;-]

Beans
    Distro

Stream Tuner tunes in stations on Xiph but does not record well at all.