Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu (or an operating system in general) with AI? Would this work?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu (or an operating system in general) with AI? Would this work?

Lols .... always look on the bright side of life .... de dum de dum de dum de dum .....

well the good thing is people are aware of it ..... but we often produce what we see in films .....

look at Star Trek ... and then look at what we already have ....

mobile phones with live pictures ( unimaginable almost 10 years ago )

replicators ( some of the sintering techniques and printers that print in 3D - again not thought possible )

Not long before we transfer people molecule by molecule to other planets too ..... well - maybe a few more years for that one ..... and the hyperdrive .....

Well we do have all the flat screen monitors too on the deck of the spaceship .... no real spaceship yet
    though ......

We do have 3 legged robots though ..... did anyone watch the TED video on A I posted earlier ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 29th, 2011 at 11:24 PM.

Beans

Not crazy at all. In fact, this happens a lot behind our backs and we don't even notice it. In a very strict sense, artifical intelligence encapsulates everything from spell checking to making suggestions in search engines, as well as desktop searching. However, I do agree that artificial intelligence can increase the natural feeling of using an OS as well as basic usability, especially for the disabled.

Many of our environments have synthesized predictable patterns of human behavior into their use, like GNOME Shell and some plugins for Compiz. But I think it can go much further and I don't see why it shouldn't happen.

I'm current doing a lot of research with Synthetic Intelligence, and it's pretty simple to create a framework for predicting the user's typical actions, but only if they have a fairly consistent use-case. Of course, probabilities extend into different hierarchies of behavior. Essentially, I think this is feasible, but it would be best to build an opendesktop standard around it with standard libraries rather than to simply plug in research work.

I'll start compiling some of the information from this post along with my own ideas into a document that I can share with the GNOME and KDE guys to see if there's some common ground on what artificial intelligence features would be acceptable and helpful in the short-term.

Beans

Imagine if the cloud was made to be structured to start with ,,,,,

and any programs written were all automatically sorted and stored for fast access to the code you need

and better than that the computer works out which is the most efficient way to code something .....

Then instead of everyone writing code overand over as we probably do - replicating things .....

Then a A I takes over ...... how many people customize there desktops .... how many times are similar pieces of code written ,,,,, where are they all .... ?

If stored on a supercomputer (cloud) rather than on individual desktop machines

and people allowed their code to be used ,,,, as they do for linux anyway .....

Then could the computer sort and sift through to find better ways of doing things and possibly correct
    and highlight changes in peoples code so they can learn what works more efficiently ....

Gets you thinking anyway ..... and as in the video ( do not criticize others - but expand on their ideas )

and make them better by doing something ourselves rather than relying on others ,,,,,

But to get those skills maybe we do need a AI OS to point us in the right direction .....

One other thing would be here in helping people in the forums .... a AI help system ... would be a interesting
    project to do ..... database of constantly re-occuring problems ..... may highlight what needs fixing too
    to avoid the majority of re-occuring problems continuing to happen .....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 29th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

A narrow/application-specific AI, yes. We already have plenty of those, they operate optical character recognition systems, pilot cruise missiles, recognise natural language, intelligently trawl complex databases to gain specific knowledge, et cetera. It's just a matter of applying a narrow AI to a specific task. People generally don't know this, because whenever an AI problem like language or handwriting recognition is Figured Out(TM), scientists tone it down and pretend it's an IT problem, not an AI problem. All of those are genuine narrow AI problems.

Using an AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) at human-equivalent level or above for such a task, however, would be unethical at best. It's slavery, and any AI as smart as us would be able to recognise it as such. And I don't want someone who hates me sitting in my PC, even if ve's* hard-wired to do what I say for the moment. The security and/or existential risk is simply too great.

*ve/vis/ver are generally accepted pronouns (by the AGI/FAI community) used to refer to sentient entities that possess artificial general intelligence.

Beans

wow this seems to have kicked off quite a discussion!

Some cool responses, and nice to hear from some people who think like me that things probably WILL move in this direction (eventually).

And man it would be pretty cool I think! Just for subtle stuff. I mean computers can be so dumb sometimes as we all know, and it would be awesome if it would actually think for itself sometimes! xD

I wonder what the height of modern AI is anyway...

EDIT --

Hm, something cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ByGQGiVMg
    Last edited by hoppipolla; July 30th, 2011 at 02:52 AM.
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The main issue with most implementations of Artificial Intelligence is that they're bound to be application-specific (desktop search, voice recognition, spellings/suggestions, etc.). The most direct approach to get something that reaches beyond this is Synthetic Intelligence, which brings in a lot of ethical issues that are difficult to sort out- not to mention that it's much broader than the context of a personal computer.

So it would be best to aim for an artificial solution that can generalize between interactions, file types, etc. and sort things like a user does, but has only explicit reasoning/prediction to avoid the issues that come with the synthetic intelligence. Then it's more controlled and focused on being a utility, which is obviously what we want, and avoids moral dilemmas. The downside, of course, is that you have to 'program as you go' rather than the application actually learning anything.

I'd predict that either this will emerge slowly over the next decade, or a group of like-minded programmers will start building it for this purpose alone. There's nothing magical and unattainable in this field, it's only a matter of having the right design and dedicated developers to begin with. If not, it's bound to be a piecemeal approach like what we have now.

Beans
    Hidden!

I really doubt we'll get anywhere near an artificial general intelligence in this decade. And even if substantial progress is made in research, it is extremely unlikely computing hardware will develop fast enough to be able to run an AGI in real-time within a decade on anything less than a multi-billion USD datacentre that would dwarf any existing cluster.

Just to get a perspective on how profound a problem creating a friendly artificial general intelligence is and how we've just barely began scratching the surface, read the following:

http://singinst.org/upload/CEV.html
    http://singinst.org/upload/LOGI.html
    http://singinst.org/upload/CFAI.html

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we reach machine intelligence by developing real-time human brain simulation long before an AGI/FAI is developed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like my OS's the way I like my women: Visually appealing, and incapable of independent thought!

(dis iz joke! plz don't give m3 da banzorz!!)

Beans
    Hidden!

Frankly, I can imagine how even a narrow AI would significantly improve people's ability to work with computers. Imagine telling your computer about a topic you'd like to learn about, instantly getting a professional abstract (not a list of google-ranked links or a vandalised/disinformative/malicious wiki article), with more detailed information processed in a format you're comfortable with consuming, with the AI ready to demonstrate any specifics with practical examples. Accumulating something like that by yourself with tools available today would easily take hours/day of googling, vetting resources, research and filtering, depending on the subject.

An artificial general intelligence wouldn't even need you behind the computer to tell it what to research. It would be capable of original thought and new insights even without outside input, and most importantly, it would be capable of recursively improving itself, jumping from human-equivalent to vastly super-human in a subjective moment.

And that's just pure overkill if all you want something to talk to when you're alone in your PC basement.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    An artificial general intelligence wouldn't even need you behind the computer to tell it what to research. It would be capable of original thought and new insights even without outside input, and most importantly, it would be capable of recursively improving itself, jumping from human-equivalent to vastly super-human in a subjective moment.
    And then likely go destroy the world, but thats a different story.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast