Thread: Some trouble with 8 Powerbook G4's

Beans

Lightbulb Some trouble with 8 Powerbook G4's

Hello All,

I'm somewhat of a novice and am trying to get some tips. I work at an urban high school in Austin, Texas, and am trying to get eight 10 year old Powerbook G4's to a point where they are able to perform two functions; run Open Office and use firefox with a wireless connection. These will be used for projects in our biology lab. The computers were donated by a local university, and had their hard drives wiped before arriving. I've attempted to install ubuntu on all 8.

Of the 8;

3 work fine

2 have "triple vision". The screens are fuzzy and there are 3 of every image. I imagine that could be a hardware issue, but really have no idea.

1 computer tells me, during the Detect Disk part of the 'install video=ofonly' install, that no disk drive was detected, and asks me to select it from a list... the list is long

The other two computers have become my personal nemesis and I will deal with them as I please.

Any advice?

KR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Some trouble with 8 Powerbook G4's

You might want to try MintPPC.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

Re: Some trouble with 8 Powerbook G4's

Maybe the 2 with the triple vision just need an xorg.conf file setting up? That is quite a common fix.

The hard drive one, erm has it got a hard drive? Is one detected when you boot a live cd? Annoyingly, some people have had to use an old version of ubuntu to get there hard drives detected. I don't know if that is it. I think that problem is something to do with if the drive had been formatted in hfs+. I would check with a live cd first.

What version on ubuntu are you using?