Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ubuntu freezing with no apparent reason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu freezing with no apparent reason

I am also experiencing the same issues (I've posted a related thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1942219), my specs are as follows:

Ubuntu 11.10 (64-bit)
    Dell Inspiron n7110 17R
    Intel i7-2670QM (2.20 Ghz, 6 MB, 4 cores)
    nVidia GeForce GT 525M (2 GB)
    6 GB DDR3 SDRAM

My ethernet controller is also the famous Realtek one (being mentioned in this thread), however, I am using a wireless connection (Atheros driver) so I don't know whether my problem is related to Realtek.

I am experiencing freezes randomly, and as everybody else mentioned here, nothing helps when they occur (not Alt+SysRq+REISUB, nor Ctrl+Alt+F1..F6, nor Ctrl+Alt+K, really nothing) and I am forced to perform a hard shutdown.

I am wondering whether this really is a kernel issue or whether it is a hardware related issue specific for the Dell brand. Does anybody runs Windows in dual-boot with Ubuntu and if yes, do you experience freezes in Windows as well?

Just curious whether anybody has any more info about this.

Really hoping that Ubuntu 12.04 will fix this issue but somehow I doubt it.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Veroslav
    Intel Core i7 860 2,8 GHz - 8 GB DDR3 - 1,5 TB SATA 3G - nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1,8 GB - Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans

When it freezes, can you do anything besides power off? Does ctr-alt-F2 get you a logon screen?

Can you ping the system from another computer? If either of these two things work, then it has to be related to the OS locking up.

If nothing works, even the mouse won't move, then it's more likely to be hardware related. Laptops run hot, and when they over-heat, they will lock. I've also seen bad memory lock a system. Try the memtest to verify it.

How much time does it take to lockup? Use a small burst of canned air to cool the proccess every 5 minutes... does that keep it running?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi lisanels47 and thank you for your comment.

I am unable to do anything after a freeze has occured (see my previous post). Ctrl-Alt-F1 through Ctrl-Alt-F6 does not have any effect at all.

I haven't tried pinging the freezed computer from another one, might try out that the next time a freeze occurs.

I'we run the Dell provided diagnostics boot utility and performed a thourogh test of the hardware, is that an equivalent of performing a memtest from grub? The Dell test came back negative, no hardware errors.

I'v used lm-sensors in order to monitor the temperatures, and mostly they have been in the range of 45-55 (with 86 being high). The fan is barely working all the time.

However, i think I managed to find the cause, hopefully, for what is the reason behind the freezes I am experiencing. Have a look at this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/818830

It is the same architecture as my computer. After I first installed Ubuntu 11.10 I didn't experience any freezes for a week. However, the temperatures were a bit high so I read (see also the bug report above) that adding i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 to kernel parameters would solve the overheating issue. It did, but it seems it was also what started causing the freezing issues for me.

This has now been fixed in Ubuntu 12.04 (again according to the last few comments in the bug above) and after reading that I installed Ubuntu 12.04. Since then, for the last 5 days, I haven't experienced any freezes and the temperatures seem to be cool as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Regards,
    Veroslav
    Last edited by veroslav; April 19th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
    Intel Core i7 860 2,8 GHz - 8 GB DDR3 - 1,5 TB SATA 3G - nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1,8 GB - Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans

Excellent! I'm also running 12.04, and it's working well. Lots of updates every day, but overall, it's doing good.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456