Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else find Ubuntu feels quite... vibrant and alive?

Beans

Does anyone else find Ubuntu feels quite... vibrant and alive?

It's strange!

Like... I don't know why, just the way it acts and how integrated everything is and how colourful and friendly it all is... and the fluidity and layout of the desktop... something about it makes it feel just a little bit more intelligent and alive than Windows!

Now that's not to say I don't enjoy using Windows 7, Win XP, other desktops, etc... but just that while Windows 7 or KDE 4 might feel nice to use in a kind of technical, traditional way, Ubuntu has a kind of more living, warm feel that is completely different!

Maybe I'm going crazy hehe

Does anyone else know what I mean? I've noticed it for quite a while!

Hoppi!
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans

Re: Does anyone else find Ubuntu feels quite... vibrant and alive?

Ubuntu has an amazing theme (best in the Linux landscape imo). The design team did a good job there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I feel the same exact way. I started noticing it now because i use to use ubuntu on my desktop and when i bought a laptop it had windows 7. Windows 7 was smooth and worked good but it just got boring after a while i missed the updates from ubuntu and the interface and everything about it. Plus windows 7 will be outdated soon unless you buy the next windows but i will never be out of date using Ubuntu

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    It's strange!

Like... I don't know why, just the way it acts and how integrated everything is and how colourful and friendly it all is... and the fluidity and layout of the desktop... something about it makes it feel just a little bit more intelligent and alive than Windows!

Now that's not to say I don't enjoy using Windows 7, Win XP, other desktops, etc... but just that while Windows 7 or KDE 4 might feel nice to use in a kind of technical, traditional way, Ubuntu has a kind of more living, warm feel that is completely different!

Maybe I'm going crazy hehe

Does anyone else know what I mean? I've noticed it for quite a while!

Hoppi!
    I agree, and you put it very nicely.

Meanwhile there are threads where some people complain Ubuntu doesn't look "polished" enough like vista. I cringe everytime when I see people trying to make their Ubuntu computers look like XP or Vista with themes and wall paper, it is just dull and ugly like the PC guy from the Mac commercial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I really dont think it is polished enough.

gnome 3 and kde 4.7 look much more polished.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    I really dont think it is polished enough.

gnome 3 and kde 4.7 look much more polished.
    +1 to that.

Beans

I think the default look appears childish, like its trying to look like a smartphone. Bright colors and large icons, like a children's cartoon.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Syndicalist View Post
    I think the default look appears childish, like its trying to look like a smartphone. Bright colors and large icons, like a children's cartoon.
    You can adjust the icon size. And what's wrong with bright colour and children's cartoon?

Beans

It looks like its trying to look like an Ipad. I dont even like Ipads, and I certainly dont want my desktop to be a clone of my phone....which is Android btw. I wouldnt take an Iphone if it was free......unless I could sell it and not actually have to use it.

Beans

I wont use another default Ubuntu product until they stop trying to look like a cheap imitation of IOS. I HATE apples dumbed down interface. Honestly, I would rather they copy the look and feel of Windows 7 instead of Mac, though I have no love for Microsoft....IOS is a HORRIBLE model to emulate for a desktop or even a laptop or netbook. At least Windows 7 looks like it belongs on a workstation, making it comparably preferable to Mac if you are going to copy someone else's look.

Its childish looking. Maybe I would give unity to my daughter when she learns to read, but the grown ups need something appropriate for a workstation, and a Mac clone isnt that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast