Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Flash Player good for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Arrow Re: What's Flash Player good for?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I don't see what the point of having Flash would be if you can't even get on the internet.

I've had no problems getting on the internet, so I just followed these instructions to get Flash installed:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats

Thats just it.!, I don't have flash player or internet in ubuntu..

It's that you said: some websites only use Flash.

So my question was: How to get around this.
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    Registered Linux user #419240.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans

Re: What's Flash Player good for?

I find Flash useless and annoying actually. Flash is good for animation and some programming (I think I read somewhere Strongbad site couldn't be done without Flash). Most of what Flash can do, can be done with Ajax (web design work), Synfig (waits patiently for apache modules and browser plugins!!) and other animation tools, and... I don't code so I don't know an alternative to Actionscript.

One good reason to use Flash (web designers probably know this one): sIFR.
    http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2004/08/sifr

It uses Flash to embed fonts. Extracted from the site above:

sIFR, or Scalable Inman Flash Replacement, we finally have a standards-compliant way to deliver rich typographical text in a flexible manner to over 90% of web users.
    But for the masses, Flash is a waste, except in games.

I dispise Flash navigation (especially if the rest of the site is in html). Didn't I read somewhere that Flash navigation is NOT SEARCH FRIENDLY?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by jason.b.c
    Thats just it.!, I don't have flash player or internet in ubuntu..

It's that you said: some websites only use Flash.

So my question was: How to get around this.
    Well, this is pretty good so far

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Sound support is still being implemented (I want that since I avoid flash sites, but like flash cartoons, sound is a necessity)
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I like flash and hate the fact that it doesnt't work properly in linux. Currently in firefox flash works, but I get only sound when any othewr applicatioj doesnt't produce sound. And on opera flash/mplayer doesn't work t all... I have to admid that some things just work better with windows because manufactures plan things for it.
    Ubuntu Dapper with XGL = totally addicted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GoA
    I like flash and hate the fact that it doesnt't work properly in linux. Currently in firefox flash works, but I get only sound when any othewr applicatioj doesnt't produce sound. And on opera flash/mplayer doesn't work t all... I have to admid that some things just work better with windows because manufactures plan things for it.
    Well, install alsa-oss. Launch firefox like

aoss firefox

Sound problem should be gone. The reason is 2 fold, one Ubuntu has ESD (which I disable on every install) the other that macromedia made their Linux flash version use OSS...Which ESD likes to tie up...

There is a setting you can change within firefox to use aoss, just search the forums (I find it easier to just change the launcher...)
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans

@jason.b.c: what aysiu meant was that since you have no internet, you would have no need for Flash since you won't be able to visit any site.

But anyway, there's a package in the repositories for the flash player. I'm not on my Kubuntu box so I can't verify the name of the package.

This link (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFo...d7c4ef05acff2b) takes you directly to the part on how to have Flash installed. Just follow it depending on what version you are using (Dapper or Breezy, Ubuntu or Kubuntu, i386 AMD64 or PPC). Take note that this isn't the most recent flash player, and that shockwave is absolutely not supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny
    Well, install alsa-oss. Launch firefox like

aoss firefox

Sound problem should be gone. The reason is 2 fold, one Ubuntu has ESD (which I disable on every install) the other that macromedia made their Linux flash version use OSS...Which ESD likes to tie up...

There is a setting you can change within firefox to use aoss, just search the forums (I find it easier to just change the launcher...)
    I hate to say this but why do I have to different workarounds to get things work, shouldn't it be so that things just work? However, flash isn't ubuntus fault, macromedia just doesn't want to support linux I guess.
    Ubuntu Dapper with XGL = totally addicted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs down Re: What's Flash Player good for?

sorry for the off-topic..

i've argued with my wife yesterday, and since i made 6969 m. in nanana+crash, i feel good for the first time today. guess call my wife and take things easier

so flash player is good for something (for me, and for the first time )
    chaos rules...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Being a flash web designer myself, I would simply say that Flash sites are simply full of life rather than plain ol' HTML. They are without doubt designed for the people with a more creative outlook. It would be not rite to call it bad. It can be thought of as analogous to modern art. If it takes time to load thats becoz of bad design and more importantly slow connection.

FLash is a thing of the future, just as Ubuntu has bought freedom and flexibility to the OS scenario, Flash emancipates the conventional web design. Thats the way i look at stuff.. but others may see different!
    People who say Linux is difficult to use are just obsessed by windows ......Close your windows and open your doors to Linux
    Ubuntu Starter Guide..RestrictedFormats
    Ubuntu Packages...Linux Programs Replacements for Windows Programs...XXamp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GoA
    I hate to say this but why do I have to different workarounds to get things work, shouldn't it be so that things just work? However, flash isn't ubuntus fault, macromedia just doesn't want to support linux I guess.
    Well, depends on your hardware. My desktop has an audigy2 zs, with hardware mixing so technically no need for a workaround...

My laptop is not so lucky.
    When I first started Ubuntu on there, I had sound problems due to ESD. When I disabled it, suddenly apps using OSS had sound consistently... but never at the same time. Now in dapper, ALSA has dmix. Which I've found great. Lots of apps open making sound, no problems.

http://www.alsa-project.org/

I guess all these sound systems can co-exist. I favor alsa since it works well, and has support for mixing OSS (if you grab alsa-oss). ESD... Well, I'm just not a fan of. One day I hope it's gone or at least works where it isn't laggy and ties up /dev/dsp...

Mostly my opinion and experiences here, but I can vouch for ALSA, especially if you have a decent soundcard.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast