Thread: Evolution Tasks quit unexpectedly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Evolution Tasks quit unexpectedly

Hi,

I'm having problems with Tasks in Evolution. Sometimes (not all the time), when I double-click on a task to edits its description, I get the following:

The Evolution Tasks have quit unexpectedly. Your tasks will not be available until Evolution is restarted.
    Restarting does not necessarily solve the problem. I can't definitively say that there is any thing that may be co-occurring with this phenomenon.

TIA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Evolution Tasks quit unexpectedly

Bump

Beans

Are you connecting to a Exchange 2007 or higher server? If so Evolution uses Samba 4's Active Directory support which is still pretty experimental. Though its Exchange 2007 support get better with every version, it has problems only occasionally for me, though I just use mail and calendar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, I don't think so. My tasks are all stored locally and not on a remote server. How can I check?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just in case anybody has experienced this issue, from what I can understand the reason for this phenomenon has something to do with the polling of relevant imap servers by the email client. This polling probably causes some sort of conflict with access to Tasks. My reasoning for this comes from the fact that I have reduced the Check for new mail time to about 30 minutes for all my accounts, which is okay for me. The result is that I haven't any
    The Evolution Tasks have quit unexpectedly. Your tasks will not be available until Evolution is restarted.
    incidences lately.

I probably won't file this as a bug unless somebody else can replicate the issue (I may after all be doing something wrong).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mobius129a View Post
    Just in case anybody has experienced this issue, from what I can understand the reason for this phenomenon has something to do with the polling of relevant imap servers by the email client. This polling probably causes some sort of conflict with access to Tasks. My reasoning for this comes from the fact that I have reduced the Check for new mail time to about 30 minutes for all my accounts, which is okay for me. The result is that I haven't any incidences lately.

I probably won't file this as a bug unless somebody else can replicate the issue (I may after all be doing something wrong).
    Quite possible that there is a database locking bug when both functions are run at the same time, but the 10.04 version of Evolution is way out of date now and unless it also occurs in the current version I doubt that the Evolution maintainers would take action on it even if you put in a bug report.

If you want to try it on a 11.10 system and it still occurs then it would certainly be worth putting in a bug report.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@dcstar: you're right. I tried it on an 11.04 with a Check for new mail time of 5 minutes and there was no problem; it was evolution version 3.x.x. The version I was using on 10.04 was evolution 2.28.3. It must have been sorted out.