Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help "marking application as executable" for wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Help "marking application as executable" for wine

Quote Originally Posted by David4321 View Post
    Please don't try to troubleshoot my Windows problem. It is severe, and no boot is available in the present condition, not even to safe mode.

It is a laptop. I just need to back up, then attempt complete Windows reinstall. I already know that much.

I now understand that error - I have now installed SyncBackSE in Ubuntu. See my last post.

I have not installed - I am running from DVD. I do not trust the HD, that is why I am down this road to begin with. I suppose I could try installing Ubuntu - my data seems intact, even though bootup is hopeless.

Me too... Thanks for your efforts.
    I have a similar problem to yours. My Windows install (the second install after the first one fell apart) has sporadic startup problems. It too, does a stall in Safe Mode as well. It is, if I suspect correctly, a slight problem with the main HD but I believe my reinstalling Win7 on a completely clean formatted partition may very well do the trick. You may want to look into a HD diagnostic program. There is one in Ubuntu that actually found a couple of bad sectors on my HD. That would be the first thing I'd do. Check with the manufacturers website for the drive and see if they have any diagnostic and/or repair tools for that drive.

In the end it is best to do a clean install of windows on a reformatted partition or reformat the entire drive. There's bound to be garbage lying around the drive that a simple reinstall of Windows won't get rid of. It's good to have another OS such as Ubuntu around. I find that glitches get taken care of much easier with it especially when one uses the terminal for commands, debugging modes and to completely Kill badly behaving programs and packages.

If you are totally sure that HD of yours is DOA can you obtain or do have another drive to install Windows and Ubuntu on? In the end clean installs are what you want. The DVD, even in persistence mode, can only provide you with so much functionality. Persistence mode, I believe is done by pressing F6 when you click on the "try ubuntu" button. I would never rely upon it for long term usage.
    Last edited by PayPaul; October 13th, 2011 at 02:51 AM.
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123