Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDROM mount point

Beans

CDROM mount point

Ok, this is a simple question which I (the novice) does not know the answer to? How do I mount my cd drive. There is no cdrom entry in fstab, and no mount point in /media, /cdrom, or /dev. What do I do?

PS: I'm trying to install XP on Virtualbox, and Virtualbox doesn't detect a CDROM drive, just this virtual drive that doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: CDROM mount point

Usually, the CD should be automatically mounted for you. Is this not working, or is it just not working for the Windows XP CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Foobarz View Post
    Ok, this is a simple question which I (the novice) does not know the answer to? How do I mount my cd drive. There is no cdrom entry in fstab, and no mount point in /media, /cdrom, or /dev. What do I do?
    What version/release of Ubuntu do you have?

PS: I'm trying to install XP on Virtualbox, and Virtualbox doesn't detect a CDROM drive, just this virtual drive that doesn't work.
    When you insert any CD to your drive, what will happen? your CD should be mounted automatically once you insert it.

Are you using this one: http://www.virtualbox.org/ ??

Beans

Ok, how do I add my CD to virtualbox? I see tutorials explaining to add it during the first run wizard, but Virtualbox only detects a virtual drive (which it cannot boot from, since it is not my real CD drive.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ok, how do I add my CD to virtualbox? I see tutorials explaining to add it during the first run wizard, but Virtualbox only detects a virtual drive (which it cannot boot from, since it is not my real CD drive.)
    I'm online from my cell. I'll post a screen shot once I'll login to my PC

Beans

I also tried this: Use brasero to burn my XP disc to an image file, but brasero doesn't detect anything in my CD drive. It seems I have mostly a problem with the XP installation disc, since I can play music from audio CD's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

First thing to understand is that the CD Drive will not show up in FSTAB or under any mount points until a CD is in the drive. This is because the CD drive does not have an active OS installed. FSTAB (File System Table) only shows a partition if it has an active File System.

As to installing XP in Virtualbox. The way I do it is to create the virtual Hard Drive first. Set it to be able to expand as needed. Once created, go to the storage tab, click on the CD Drive and make sure that the option for the CD is set to the CD Drive physically listed there and make sure that pass through is activated. Next create a new virtual machine for Win XP. Insert your XP CD and then launch the new machine. It will read from your CD at that point and you will be able to install XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    I'm online from my cell. I'll post a screen shot once I'll login to my PC
    There you go:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thank you all for your help. I seem to understand the concept of mounting a hard drive. My main question now is why nothing shows up in the cd drive when I put my XP installation disc in. I can explore the disc in my Windows, so it's definitely not corrupted. And my Windows is on the same computer as my Ubuntu, just a different partition, so my CD drive is definitely not broken. Any suggestions on viewing my CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you all for your help. I seem to understand the concept of mounting a hard drive. My main question now is why nothing shows up in the cd drive when I put my XP installation disc in. I can explore the disc in my Windows, so it's definitely not corrupted. And my Windows is on the same computer as my Ubuntu, just a different partition, so my CD drive is definitely not broken. Any suggestions on viewing my CD?
    I'm confused here so please explain whether you want your Windows Disc to be mounted in the VirtualBox or in Ubuntu or both?

As in VirtualBox, I already uploaded a Screenshot for you.

As for Ubuntu, try to insert different CD/Disc and see what will happen?!
    If the CD/Disc works in Windows, it doesn't mean to necessarily work in Ubuntu too, specially if there is something wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast