Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oh my gosh, i just want to install JAVA, why does it have to be so HARD!!!!

Beans

Unhappy oh my gosh, i just want to install JAVA, why does it have to be so HARD!!!!

okay, so i have a "Asus Eee PC 1215T" netbook i don't know what specs to include, so i just copied what was in the system monitor page:

ubuntu maverick 10.10,
    kernal linux 2.6.35-30 generic
    Gnome 2.230

i want to install JAVA but i don't understand the instructions on their page:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help...l.xml#download

what the heck am i suppose to put for a root password? they say, "Note about root access: To install Java in a system-wide location such as /usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install Java in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions."

but i have no idea what they're talking about. why does it have to be so difficult?!? some programs i can download from ubuntu software center, JAVA is such a common used thing i would have thought it would be in there. how am i suppose to tell what version of JAVA to download? oh i'm so very confused.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: oh my gosh, i just want to install JAVA, why does it have to be so HARD!!!!

Hi, open software center and install java from there, you will need to accept the agreement when asked.

Beans

i tried that, but there isn't a java in my software

Beans
    Distro

Hi, are connected to the internet? Did you see a lot of packages when you opened software center or is it empty?

Beans
    Distro

Hi, also you could open a terminal by hitting ctrl+alt+t then paste this command in to it.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk openjdk-6-jre
    You can accept the agreement by moving the errors keys to high light ok then hit enter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, are connected to the internet? Did you see a lot of packages when you opened software center or is it empty?
    yeah, i have the internet up...when i type in "java" in the search field in the software center, i see other packages, such as "openJDK java 6 runtime" and "icedtea java plugin"..they have check marks next to them indicating i installed them...but there's no plain ol' java to select.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, you do not need plain old java, but you probably can only use ice tea or the Jdk not both at the same time.

What is it that you are wanting to do but can not because of java?

Beans

okay, i entered the command:

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk openjdk-6-jre
    and i typed in y for yes...it says it will take 36 minutes to load....so we'll see what happens after that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, you do not need plain old java, but you probably can only use ice tea or the Jdk not both at the same time.

What is it that you are wanting to do but can not because of java?

i wanted to be able to print coupons from home, but i need to install a "coupon printer" first, and i also wanted to be able to play around on this website:

http://morph.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Transformer/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you want to install the oracle java engine you have to enable certain repositories.
    Take a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu . I believe the oracle java is in the multiverse.
    Linux goes forward /
    Windows goes backward \

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast