Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Installing Minecraft in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing Minecraft in Ubuntu

$ sudo apt-get update
    # checks to see what updates are needed.

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
    # upgrades your software

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    # adds new software as need to upgrade your system ….

Ubuntu developers are always updating and streamlining are operating system so 20 minutes plus isn't bad for your 1st upgrade.

Minecraft

If your looking to install Minecraft on Ubuntu 12.04 many of us are using the how to on this page

To open a terminal press ctrl+alt+t all at the same time. Then cut and paste the following commands into the terminal window one box at a time.

http://modifyubuntu.com/#minecraft
    Last edited by regor210; June 27th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Beans

i did all this but when i log in i get black screen, plz help

Beans
    Distro

Minecraft on Ubuntu 12.04

Sorry http://modifyubuntu.com/#minecraft is out of date due to lwjgl-2.8.4. Sorry this is a bit long. I just tried this and its all working and up to date.

To open a terminal press ctrl+alt+t all at the same time. Then cut and paste the following commands into the terminal window one line at a time minus the $.

#make sure you have Openjdk-7 and all the Openjdk-7 extensions.

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

$ sudo apt-get install ca-certificates-java icedtea-7-jre-cacao icedtea-7-jre-jamvm java-common libatk-wrapper-java libatk-wrapper-java-jni libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libgnome2-0 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jre-headless openjdk-7-jre-lib ttf-dejavu-extra tzdata-java

#Look and make sure your using openjdk-7.

$ sudo update-alternatives --config java

Sometimes Ubuntu’s 3D desktop effects has issues with Minecraft. You could try logging out of your Desktop, select Unity 2D then log back in.

Download minecraft.jar from here.
    http://www.minecraft.net/download

Download the Lightweight Java Game Library or lwjgl from here
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/java...d?source=files

If you haven’t yet run Minecraft then do so and log in it will automatically to create the folder .minecraft in your home folder. Note. You will get a black screen. Here's how.

------------------------------------------------

$ cd ~/Downloads

$ sudo chmod a+x minecraft.jar

$ java -Xmx256M -Xms256M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
    -------------------------------------------------
    Close Minecraft

In Ubuntu 12.04 you have to update lwjgl by hand due to Java 7 or Openjdk-7. You can go here or read down and use the command line.

Lightweight Java Game Library download

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tu...s/Update_LWJGL

The command line.

Then open a terminal ctrl+alt+t cut and paste the following commands into the terminal window one line at a time minus the $.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #update LWJGL
    # Note. lwjgl-2.8.4.zip will change over time as updates become available. so you will have to change the names as needed.
    # 4-29-2012 the Minecraft version is 1.2.5. When version 1.2.6 comes out its likely you will have to update lwjgl by hand again. Word is, when Minecraft hits version 2.0 they will switch to Java 7 and you will not need to update lwjgl by hand any more.

# update lwjgl by replacing these 9 files

$ cd ~/Downloads

$ unzip lwjgl-2.8.4.zip

# type A for all

$ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/jar/jinput.jar ~/.minecraft/bin/jinput.jar
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/jar/lwjgl_util.jar ~/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl_util.jar
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/jar/lwjgl.jar ~/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl.jar

$ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/native/linux/libjinput-linux.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libjinput-linux.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/native/linux/libjinput-linux64.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libjinput-linux64.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/native/linux/liblwjgl.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/liblwjgl.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/native/linux/liblwjgl64.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/liblwjgl64.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/native/linux/libopenal.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libopenal.so
    $ sudo cp -f ~/Downloads/lwjgl-2.8.4/native/linux/libopenal64.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libopenal64.so

# close the terminal.
    # Open a new terminal ctrl+alt+t

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #make sure everything has permission for you to run it.

$ sudo chmod -R 777 .minecraft

$ cd ~/Downloads

$ sudo chmod a+x minecraft.jar

$ java -Xmx256M -Xms256M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

Note. if you have 2GB or more ram on your mother board you may get better performance by alocating more ram to Minecraft. $ java -Xmx1048M -Xms512M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

After this you can goto your Downloads folder right click on minecraft.jar, scroll down to properties. Use the slider named Open with and select OpenJDK Jave 7 Runtime. Click OK.

Now you can start Minecraft by double clicking the minecraft.jar icon, you can pick it up with your mouse and move it to your desktop if you like.
    Last edited by regor210; July 10th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Beans

thank you

Beans

Question Re: Installing Minecraft in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvepack5 View Post
    thank you
    My apologies for being extremely nube... I followed the above and came up with the following on running minecraft.jar:

Minecraft has crashed!
    ----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem; Failed to start game
    This error has been saved to /home/kyle/.minecraft/crash-reports/crash-2012-08-23_22.46.50-client.txt for your convenience. Please include a copy of this file if you report this crash to anyone.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7544ed6a --------
    Generated 8/23/12 10:46 PM

- Minecraft Version: 1.3.2
    - Operating System: Linux (i386) version 3.2.0-23-generic-pae
    - Java Version: 1.6.0_24, Sun Microsystems Inc.
    - Java VM Version: OpenJDK Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
    - Memory: 211319744 bytes (201 MB) / 257294336 bytes (245 MB) up to 257294336 bytes (245 MB)
    - JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xmx256M -Xms256M
    - LWJGL: 2.8.4
    - OpenGL: Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD GL version 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 8.0.2), X.Org
    - Is Modded: Probably not
    - Type: Client
    - Texture Pack: Default
    - Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: X Error - disp: 0xffffffff961a19f8 serial: 103 error: GLXBadRenderRequest request_code: 154 minor_code: 1
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.globalErrorHandler(L inuxDisplay.java:318)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxContextImplementation.nSwapB uffers(Native Method)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxContextImplementation.swapBu ffers(LinuxContextImplementation.java:79)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextGL.swapBuffers(ContextGL.j ava:175)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.DrawableGL.swapBuffers(DrawableGL .java:90)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.swapBuffers(Display.java: 615)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.I(SourceFile:370)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:244)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:516)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
    --- END ERROR REPORT 6079929d ----------

And of course this woeful plea for help would be incomplete without the attached aforementioned log:

Haha just kidding. I can't find that folder. I have: Desktop Documents Downloads minecraft Music Pictures Public Templates Videos minecraft.jar minecraft.svg in my home folder. Annoying.

I appreciate any help to jump-start!

Beans
    Distro

Run this and post what you get please.

$ lspci -vmk | grep -A 8 -B 2 VGA && lspci | grep VGA && glxinfo | grep -w 'direct\|OpenGL'

Beans

How do we make an app that gets installed under Applications/Games?

Beans

i dont know what im doing wrong here... i go all the steps done even the double click to open, it opens but when i try to log on it says game not downloaded and when i click play demo it just says "done loading...." and nothing happens

Beans

got it... had to play the demo online to download the game.... now i can play offline.... weird....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by penguini View Post
    How do we make an app that gets installed under Applications/Games?
    You could Install Minecraft using my little script/app. Puts Minecraft in the meny, among else.

Quote Originally Posted by ufuknut;
    got it... had to play the demo online to download the game.... now i can play offline.... weird....
    The "minecraft.jar" you start with is not the game, just the launcher. So you need to download the actual game-resources to your computer before you can play offline. Which is what you do when you login for the first time.
    This is my signature

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast