Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP3's won't play

Beans

Re: MP3's won't play

OK. I'm just gonna skip the dvd decrypting I don't really need that. Problem is however, that I cannot watch dvd's either. Same error. DVD is encrypted, no decryption library.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fatjax View Post
    OK. I'm just gonna skip the dvd decrypting I don't really need that. Problem is however, that I cannot watch dvd's either. Same error. DVD is encrypted, no decryption library.
    Okay try VLC. I think that has decryption for Region Codes built-in. Install the same way as k3b. Another one that might work is kaffeine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Try Rhythmbox. It works with MP3s and WMAs also.
    I'm just here to say thank you. I didn't know that Rhythmbox provided built-in MP3 support. I was wondering how my MP3 files played while I didn't install any Fluendo package.
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fatjax View Post
    Install libdvdcss2 to read encrypted DVDs. It's not in the Ubuntu repositories because of legal issues. Either enable the medibuntu repository:

http://www.medibuntu.org/

Or use the commands in this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
    I'm just here to say thank you. I didn't know that Rhythmbox provided built-in MP3 support. I was wondering how my MP3 files played while I didn't install any Fluendo package.
    You are welcome! I love Rhythmbox and if you don't like the way it opens and goes to the top task bar, or does not close when
    you click the X to close it. Just open up gconf-editor and click apps/Rhythmbox/plugins/status-icon and look at the value of status-icon-mode.
    It's default is 3 and I changed mine to 0.

When I open Rhythmbox, it opens, when I close it, it just closes. None of that disappearing into a tray icon stuff which is default.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You should also look into conkyrhythmbox in here: Conky Ryhthmbox.
    It provides a lot of info about the song that is playing along with album art.
    I could give you what I am using but, probably not in this thread.
    I believe my Conky for Rhythmbox is in that thread about page 36.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by astrobob.tk View Post
    Welcome to the community,

Do not be frustrated with a problem here & another there, all newbies will. In the overall experience you will have made the righ decision in movign to Ubuntu (the most popular distro)

To solve your problem, run (before running it wait for other replies for alternatives &/or confirmation of my command) the following command in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 gstreamer0.10-pitfdll gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-gl gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse libxine-extracodecs w32codecs
    You will be asked to enter a password (your user pass) which you will not see being typed while entering it.

This command should install all popluar codecs. It works on my 10.04 LTS & i assume it should on yours.

all the best
    in your CL is included ... w32codecs ; If i'm on a 64-bit machine, do i also include ... w64codecs ?
    thx in advance; take care

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Don D View Post
    in your CL is included ... w32codecs ; If i'm on a 64-bit machine, do i also include ... w64codecs ?
    thx in advance; take care
    mmh; well a quick google search gave me this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Me... Media Formats

Indeed, it seems u need to use w64codecs instead.

First make sure your system (& not just the hardware) is 64 bit: uname -a (if i686 or i386 then it is 32 bit; if x86 then its 64).
    Last edited by astrobob.tk; August 27th, 2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: link correction
    [Dell Studio XPS 1640] [Core2Duo P8700 2.53GHz] [500/4GB][ATI Radeon HD 4670] [12.04/Win7]
    [Dell Inspiron 8600] [? 1.73GHz] [80/1 GB] [-] [10.04/XP]
    [No Brand] [PIII (Coppermine) 1GHz] [80GB/248 MB] [-] [#!/lubuntu 11.10/XP]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12