Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plymouth splash issue 11.04 "SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xyyyyyyy already in use"

Beans

Plymouth splash issue 11.04 "SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xyyyyyyy already in use"

Been having a problem with my plymouth splash ever since I udgraded to Natty.I had some major resolution issues at first, which I seem to have fixed. But now my plymouth screen flashes for just a second or two and then I get another splash screen (in the wrong resolution, by the way), with just the Ubuntu text in white on a purple background and then some boot message text.

“SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xyyyyyyy already in use”

There's more text after that but the screen disappears before I can read it all. The only time I can really see my plymouth boot screen is during shutdown. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Beans

Re: Plymouth splash issue 11.04 "SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xyyyyyyy already in

Looks like this is a compatibility issue between the drivers for my ATI video card and plymouth. (See the first post in this thread. http://http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1436634) My only option at this time would be to switch to the slower open-source driver and disable compiz and emerald in order to avoid more graphics compatibility problems. For the time being I'm going to stick with the ugly boot screen and consider getting a different video card while hoping a fix to this problem happens before I have to make that choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Plymouth splash issue 11.04 "SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xyyyyyyy already in

Quote Originally Posted by amadis2009 View Post
    Looks like this is a compatibility issue between the drivers for my ATI video card and plymouth. ......For the time being I'm going to stick with the ugly boot screen and consider getting a different video card while hoping a fix to this problem happens before I have to make that choice.
    There is a list of reports about this on launchpad - see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/740011

Looks like they fixed it in one of the updates but its back again. I'm just living with it for now, as I spent enough $$ on my video card and I'm not about to buy another
    Tony
    --
    Linux Mint 14, Linux user 456436

Beans

I noticed that if I did a memtest86+ test everything is back to normal after a reboot

Beans

temporal way to use the system:

during boot select "repair"
    select "normal boot"
    you'll be put into the command line (tty1). Enter your pass
    type "sudo service gdm start"
    done, you can now work as usual.

Later today I'll try the last method mentioned here.
    > > I noticed that if I did a memtest86+ test everything is back to normal after a reboot

Beans

Smile Re: Plymouth splash issue 11.04 "SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xyyyyyyy already in

Hi All,

Got it Fixed... Its working for me with out any issue.

Steps:

1. echo 'blacklist shpchp' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf

2. echo 'blacklist sp5100_tco' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-watchdog.conf

Reboot and check.

Thanks,
    Swaminathan M

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Plymouth splash issue 11.04 "SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xyyyyyyy already in

Quote Originally Posted by novikov View Post
    temporal way to use the system:

during boot select "repair"
    select "normal boot"
    you'll be put into the command line (tty1). Enter your pass
    type "sudo service gdm start"
    done, you can now work as usual.

Later today I'll try the last method mentioned here.
    > > I noticed that if I did a memtest86+ test everything is back to normal after a reboot
    sorry, were do I can select "repair"??? my system doesn't boot at all... I only can see the grub, then select any option, and the "...sp5100 tco timer... mmio alredy..." error appears, after that, nothig happens...

Quote Originally Posted by msnathan View Post
    Hi All,

Steps:

Reboot and check.

Thanks,
    Swaminathan M
    What can I do if my system doesn't boot at all?
    luissi

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by luissil View Post
    sorry, were do I can select "repair"??? my system doesn't boot at all... I only can see the grub, then select any option, and the "...sp5100 tco timer... mmio alredy..." error appears, after that, nothig happens...

What can I do if my system doesn't boot at all?
    Try using a live cd and going into a live session. Mount your computer hdd and edit those files.

Also try and blacklist this module,
    Code:
    SP5100_tco
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by msnathan View Post
    Hi All,

Steps:

Reboot and check.

Thanks,
    Swaminathan M
    Thanks a lot for this tip : That fixes my boot problem
    This message start to be displayed after an upgrade of Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Plymouth splash issue 11.04 "SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xyyyyyyy already in

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    Try using a live cd and going into a live session. Mount your computer hdd and edit those files.

Also try and blacklist this module,
    Code:
    SP5100_tco
    Thank you, i really don't now how, but my pc starts normally, but, i tried the solution and, "permission denied"??:

Code:
    luis@luis-casa:~$ sudo echo 'blacklist shpchp' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf
    bash: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf: Permission denied
    luis@luis-casa:~$ echo 'blacklist sp5100_tco' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-watchdog.conf
    bash: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-watchdog.conf: Permission denied
    luis@luis-casa:~$ sudo echo 'blacklist sp5100_tco' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-watchdog.conf
    bash: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-watchdog.conf: Permission denied
    luissi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast