Thread: How to install a program package ?

Beans

How to install a program package ?

Hello,

I know how to use the Software Center, and it's great.

But the program I wanted to install now is not available via this tool, unfortunately.

It's AVIRA AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus für Linux 3.1.3.5, freeware for personal use.

I downloaded the package (gz archive), but I don't know how to get the program to install.

There is a large install text file within the archive, but clicking on "Execute" does not execute anything, apparently.

I hope you can help me, I got a multiboot installation (Windows x86, Windows x64 and Ubuntu x64) and want to scan my Windows drives for virusses with Ubuntu !

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to install a program package ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexeySol View Post

There is a large install text file within the archive, but clicking on "Execute" does not execute anything, apparently.
    Is the "install" file a text file with instructions?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Is the "install" file a text file with instructions?
    No, it contains many many pages of computer code. I tried to copy it and paste it into the Terminal, but nothing happens after pasting it there and clicking Enter.

Beans

It's the program you can download here, from the site of CHIP, a German computer magazine:

http://www.chip.de/downloads/AntiVir..._23188958.html

I don't understand why it's not available via the Software Center, since it's a very popular and freeware program.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

There is a file called README in the folder, in that text it states,

install <- install script

simply double click the "install" file and "Run in Terminal" if that doesn't work then you will have to open a terminal, navigate your way into the folder and run it from there.

Should be .... sh ./install

If that command is wrong someone will correct me fairly quickly, I didn't try it as I do not want to install it.

Cheers David

Edit:- It will never be in the repo's, its not foss, also if you do read the license agreement it is very restrictive in its use, so while it is free to use its not free in the Linux sense (foss).
    Last edited by pommie; July 26th, 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Beans

When I click on it and chose "Run in Terminal", the Terminal pops up for a split-second and closes right down again. Nothing else happens. Program does not install !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by AlexeySol View Post
    When I click on it and chose "Run in Terminal", the Terminal pops up for a split-second and closes right down again. Nothing else happens. Program does not install !
    open the terminal in the same directory(right click and open terminal), and type:

Code:
    sh ./install
    post here the output

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!