Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Never ending installation

Beans

Re: Never ending installation

So were you able to get it installed? I'm having the same problem only a slightly different error number. I think my number ended in 04. I believe it's the graphics card. I also have an older laptop. The one thing I did notice that it seemed to be all ubuntu / debian based linux os's. I tried most all of them and ran into the same problem with all of them. I am able to install non ubuntu / debian bases os's. Such as PClinux, Mandriva, Fedoria, Suse to name a few and was able to install Windows 7. I'm hoping someone came up with a work around. I'd really like to try ubuntu.

Beans

@JollyRoger1 I just installed puppy linux on it last night. No hassle doing that. I definitely need more RAM if I want to move forward with any other heavier distro. I've only got 192mb in it. I might go out and buy a gig today but then again I might not. I'll let you know how it goes if I do.

By the way, that number changed for me twice. I used two different types of CD's and two different laptops to burn them so I think it's just a code on the CD and the rest is the information it is trying to read off of it.

Also if you can make it to the first installer screen which involves hitting any key when you see the "keyboard=human" icon before all the crazy scrolling stuff. Then hit F6 for other options. Select acpi=off or noacpi. Then install. I was able to make it to the next screen without the scrolling wall of text. I couldn't get any further but yours might be able to. I think my RAM let me down at that point.
    Last edited by afrocod; July 27th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Beans

Thank you for the tip. I was able to hit F6 and clicked no ansi. From there I clicked "try Ununtu" and it did boot up and it work. So I installed. After installation I reboted and got a purple screen. Nothing seems to happen. So now I'm off to search the forum to try to find the fix for that.

I read that Puppy Linux worked well. I had fairly good luck with PCLinux. I found it to be very responsive. The only issue I had with that OS was I couldn't figure where it installed software it claimed to have installed. I also couldn't find any icon to execute the program.

Beans

update on the never ending install. After lunch I kicked the laptop back on to see what would happen. This time with the purple screen I had the normal start up menu options. I click recovery and the screen did the never ending screen roll. This time I wrote the error message down. It was 48002. I then pulled the plug and restarted. I got the startup screen again so I clicked normal startup. The purple screen came back up but this time it only stayed for for a minute and then it went to a black screen with a prompt. I have 2 gig ram so I don't think it is totally a memory issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Jollyroger, I do think you are having a video issue and that the link to a thread posted earlier in this thread can help you. Please go to this thread and read the first 3 posts. I believe you'll solve or get the right direction for your issue. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans

I discovered that my laptop also has a bios issue of which there are updates for but only in the windows format. The issue has something to do with the keyboard. What is typed in comes out in jibberish. So I scrapped the idea and decided to go a different route. I moved the back up files from the d drive to the c drive and made the d drive the c drive and installed ubuntu on the desktop.

WOW! Nice job guys. This is really nice. I really like the new desktop and menu system and installing software is easy. At least what I've done so far. I have to go play and start looking at what it would take to switch over.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234