Thread: question about Trash in Natty

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

question about Trash in Natty

From what I gather, there's no way to remove the Trash icon from the Unity launcher, or to hide it; is this true?

I noticed that if I delete ~/.local/share/Trash, the file re-appears if I click on the Trash icon in the launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: question about Trash in Natty

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    From what I gather, there's no way to remove the Trash icon from the Unity launcher, or to hide it; is this true?

I noticed that if I delete ~/.local/share/Trash, the file re-appears if I click on the Trash icon in the launcher.
    Hi malspa,
    Deleting ~/.local/share/Trash deletes the files in your trash and the information about those files. It does not delete the icon. This thread says that removing the Trash icon in the sidebar is currently impossible. Also, Mark Shuttleworth's comment on this bug in launchpad seems to indicate that the Ubuntu devs don't plan on allowing this behavior.

samuelm

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by samuelm View Post
    Hi malspa,
    Deleting ~/.local/share/Trash deletes the files in your trash and the information about those files. It does not delete the icon. This thread says that removing the Trash icon in the sidebar is currently impossible. Also, Mark Shuttleworth's comment on this bug in launchpad seems to indicate that the Ubuntu devs don't plan on allowing this behavior.

samuelm
    Thanks. I did run across the askubuntu thread earlier.

The Trash item stays in the Launcher because it's a direct drag target
    for cases when people want to delete files.
    Interesting comment by Mr. Shuttleworth. Doesn't really explain why there can't be an option for the user to remove the Trash item from the launcher if so desired. Many of us don't even use the Trash.

Beans

Things that aren't in the 'design' and or require new code paths can be a longshot to get altered, combine that with a user configurable option and that's a wall not likely to be scaled.
    During natty dev I suggested that a gui tool to acces the unity plugin settings be provided so users didn't have to install ccsm where many could get into trouble if messing around
    You can see how that went -
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/748739

Same goes for the expo icon in the launcher - even if the plugin is disabled the icon stays
    (will disappear if you only have 1 workspace.

The Applications and Files & folders icons can be removed though not thru a config option
    (I remove them here, if needed I use the dash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Re: question about Trash in Natty

Quote Originally Posted by samuelm View Post
    ...Also, Mark Shuttleworth's comment on this bug in launchpad seems to indicate that the Ubuntu devs don't plan on allowing this behavior. samuelm
    ...This is exactly the reason I'm staying with Ubuntu 10.10 until I find a reasonable distro to move to. I left Winders and Mac as home machines because they tried to force "their way or the highway" down my throat. I took the highway, and I haven't looked back.

I used to also TEACH Ubuntu as a solid alternative to Windows in my CompTIA A+ pre-certification courses. Not any more.

I'd imagine, as long as Shuttleworth and the folk at Canonical maintain this similar approach to what once was an OS of flexibility and choice (I started with 6.06), I'll likely stop in my tracks, switch gears, and go another direction. Thanks for the good times, Ubuntu. I'll be back when you've come to your senses.

Cheers;
    Ed Tillman
    San Antonio, Texas, USA
    Last edited by horned0wl; July 26th, 2011 at 07:13 AM.