Thread: Need Help, New Linux User

Beans

Thumbs down Need Help, New Linux User

I currently run a dual boot system Windows Vista & Ubuntu, I am trying to use the Playonlinux application in the software center, for those who may not know what this is, it allows you to install windows application (ie games) on your linux system.. but im getting an error when installing software, it keeps saying that there is not enough space on my HD to install then shows me the current amount of HD space that is availible, its only saying i have about 7gigs free, but i have well over 200gigs free on my HD, Im guessing that Ubuntu made a partition to install on, and it didnt make it big enough. (Just my best guess) Is there a way i can increase this partition size? without having to reinstall? or am i just totally off track and should be trying something else!?

ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated!

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Need Help, New Linux User

Boot from Live CD, select GParted.
    Um. Best to take a screen-shot of GParted and post it here.
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

Beans

okay, i will do that when i get home, is there something specific that you need a screen shot of, or just the 1st window that pops up?

...and i read your signature, i take it trying to run high end windows games on Ubuntu, causes more headaches than its worth?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doug200463 View Post
    okay, i will do that when i get home, is there something specific that you need a screen shot of, or just the 1st window that pops up?

...and i read your signature, i take it trying to run high end windows games on Ubuntu, causes more headaches than its worth?
    i really love unbuntu, and would like to make a permenent switch from windows, but if im going to have countless issues, then maybe sticking with the dual boot system is the way to go... it sucks cuse i use windows more than Unbuntu when i run dual boot, would rather make the switch completly

Beans
    Hidden!

Well the point is to see the status of your disk so I can know how to resize your Ubuntu partition.
    If there's unallocated free-space, that's great. But I really need to see the uh, picture.

Also yeah, games. There's WINE and PoL, but there are too many variables and you never know whether a game would run correctly under WINE. Even if a game is listen as Platinum in WINE AppDB it doesn't mean that it will run well on your computer. A good example is Half-Life 2 in my case.
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Trying to run Windows games on Ubuntu is something of a crapshoot. Older games seem to do better in my experience, though that could be the kind of games I like.

World of Warcraft and Civilization IV are the newest games I have. No problems running WoW via wine, but I've yet to get Civ working. I'm currently setting up a virtual machine (using VMware Player) to see if Civ will run on that. If it does, I'll use the virtual machine to play those games that won't run under wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doomspark View Post
    Trying to run Windows games on Ubuntu is something of a crapshoot. Older games seem to do better in my experience, though that could be the kind of games I like.

World of Warcraft and Civilization IV are the newest games I have. No problems running WoW via wine, but I've yet to get Civ working. I'm currently setting up a virtual machine (using VMware Player) to see if Civ will run on that. If it does, I'll use the virtual machine to play those games that won't run under wine.
    Well im trying to get a game called Lord Of The Rings Online, and a few others working on ubuntu... if i can do this i can drop windows all together, and that will be a happy happy day!

What exactly do you mean by a virtual machine? do you have any links with info on the subject? thanks