Thread: tovarlds, gates and shuttleworth marooned on an island

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

tovarlds, gates and shuttleworth marooned on an island

ok, so hypothetically, lets say Bill G, Linus T and Mark S all get marooned on an island with loads of beer..

3 hours of polite talk later and 21 pints of beer down, it finally sarts:-

linus: man.. i rock, im the best, i wrote the damn kernel myself !!
    mark: ha !! what good is just a kernel? i brought it to the masses..
    bill: yeah well, name ONE company that uses desktop linux !!

linus: ......
    mark: .....
    bill: ......
    would love to hear ur versions (on a line each starting with bill, mark and linus) of what follows ....

feel free to assume other celebs might be present (and 7 pints of beer down) ...
    Linux is like a Ferrari with minimal body-work, no seat belts and shipped with a toolkit in case the breaks fail at 220 mph !!

Beans

Re: tovarlds, gates and shuttleworth marooned on an island

You really should have included RMS in the group if you really want some fireworks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ddastoor View Post
    linus: man.. i rock, im the best, i wrote the damn kernel myself !!
    mark: ha !! what good is just a kernel? i brought it to the masses..
    bill: yeah well, name ONE company that uses desktop linux !!

linus: ......
    mark: .....
    bill: ......
    I doubt Mark has anything negative to say about the kernel developers, and he hasn't yet succeeded in bringing it to the masses, and I'm pretty sure he knows it. If the other guys started bragging, he would probably say something about going to space. It's really the only thing he has up on those guys.

Plus, if Bill did happen to say "name one company that uses desktop Linux!," the others could easily reply "Google uses a tweaked version of Ubuntu," and Linus could easily throw back "name two Fortune 500 companies that use Windows Server." However, I doubt this would happen. I bet Gates has a level of respect for Linus. Linus would probably pick on Windows file system or memory usage or something, rather than focus on the success of the server or mobile implementations of Linux. The man is incurably fixated on technical details (which is how a kernel dev should be, I guess).

Plus, we need to kick Mark off this Island. Torvlads single-handedly wrote the core of what would become the most widely adopted free software platform in existence, which unquestionably enjoys mainstream success on all hardware platforms except the desktop, and he managed to become a millionaire by working for free. Bill Gates built the largest fortune in the world on a market that was basically non-existent before he came along. Mark is just a successful, very polite businessman with an ideological axe to grind.

But yeah, we need Stallman, the author of the GPL and godfather of FOSS, and we need Jobs, the creator of the Desktop PC and the GUI (ok, he sorta stole that from Xerox, but whatever).

Mark Shuttleworth... psht!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Bill G: "Windows is the best OS ever!"