Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

hi all,

1. Freezing after login (with unplugged network cable)

for me,
    This is caused by ethernet driver, not wireless.
    Easy fix is to install an "ALX driver" instead of atl1c.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...networking/alx

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    07:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

i recommend http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/comp...1-snpc.tar.bz2

or most recently available here
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...table_releases
    Last edited by antinea; August 7th, 2012 at 02:25 AM.

Beans

I just found out about this fix for the wifi on my A0722, and I thought I'd share it here:
    http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/09/s...204-fixed.html

At least since installing 12.04 (but perhaps this was true of 11.10 as well), I had extremely slow wifi when running on battery power. It turns out that the stock network manager in Ubuntu was to blame, and installing Wicd in its place has fixed my problem.

The installation is simple, just install Wicd from the the stock repositories, and uninstall network-manager. The only downside I've noticed so far is the loss of the network indicator in the top bar, but I can live with that.

here are the commands for this fix:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wicd 
    sudo apt-get purge network-manager
    Note that you'll have to select which users have access to Wicd when installing, so keep an eye out for that prompt.
    Also, note that this calls for purging network-manager. I don't know if this is stricly necessary, but at any rate keep in mind that you'll lose all of your network settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't see a difference in speed between AC and battery or between wicd and NM.
    Maybe your wifi setup is particular. In any case, if I ever run into such a situation, I'll make sure to give wicd a try

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

A quick update on the wifi bug.

It turns out that the problem lies in the power control. When running network-manager, wifi slows down when on battery power. But running the following command on a terminal temporarily fixes things:

Code:
     /sbin/iwconfig eth1 power off
    I have filed a bug on launchpad, and the bug has already been marked as "confirmed." Hopefully this means a fix will be released in the near future.

In case this issue affects you, you might want to check out the bug I filed:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1051103
    Last edited by ard213; September 15th, 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added bug link

Beans

thanks!

Beans

Smile Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Problem with suspend/resume is solved with new catalyst 12.9

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bartoo View Post
    100% true Finally catalyst is working on Ubuntu 12.04, but it doesn't yet support Ubuntu 12.10 (I tried it and didn't work properly) ... Also there is a new Firmware patch from Acer for this netbook, but I didn't try it yet because I don't have windows installed on mine.

Beans

Smile Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Bartoo View Post
    Excellent news.

Quote Originally Posted by Fo2adZz View Post
    Finally catalyst is working on Ubuntu 12.04, but it doesn't yet support Ubuntu 12.10 (I tried it and didn't work properly) ... Also there is a new Firmware patch from Acer for this netbook, but I didn't try it yet because I don't have windows installed on mine.
    What does the new firmware improve/fix?

I will update the community guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne522 now. Please help us improve the guide, either by updating the wiki yourself or by messaging me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Catalyst 12.9 is still in beta. I installed it and, yes it supports Suspend. However, I experienced crashes or malfunction on pretty much all video or OpenGL application I tried. Got me running back to the opensource driver.

I guess YMMV. Any success stories out there? Smooth, accelerated video with nice power management and suspend/resume functionality?
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

Since i installed 12.9 beta, I had no major problems. Once I found a screen crash (black and white rectangles on screen), but after restarting Unity all was fine. Movies are playing without tearing a basicly all seems to be fine. I'm just waiting for final version of driver.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast