Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

I forgot to mention I was running Quantal. Did you upgrade? Maybe that makes a difference...
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

Mine was an upgrade using a usb drive, not the software internal to ubuntu. I had to test the Quantal for a bug I filed (shortly before it was released), so I figured I'd just install the latest beta anyway.

Maybe that's my problem. But anyway, my system is up to date, so I don't imagine that this would make a big difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Okay so I'll try to backtrack a bit, maybe it will shed some light.

I tried to install Catalyst 12.10 in Quantal from the package found on the AMD website. It corresponds to driver version 9.002.

That did NOT work, I was left with a low-res desktop with no 3D capability. But instead of reverting to the Opensource drivers, I decided to install the proprietary fglrx-updates driver from Software Properties. After reboot, and to my surprise, I got a fully accelerated desktop with 3D and suspend working.

The Quantal driver is version 9.000. I assumed it corresponded to Catalyst 12.09 but I could be mistaken. Both the fglrx and fglrx-updates drivers are currently at that version.

More info:
    Acer Aspire One 722-0465
    Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit.
    AMD Radeon HD 6290
    BIOS: 012.036.000.029.041054
    Driver package : 8.96.7-120312a-135598C-ATI
    2D driver: 9.0.2
    Catalyst Control Center v2.17
    Randr v1.3
    OpenGL version 4.2.11903

P.S. Compiz, and therefore Unity, is VERY buggy in 12.10. I cannot recommend enough to use a more basic and stable DE on this machine.

P.P.S Anyone got the mic working in 12.10 ??
    Last edited by LewisTM; October 31st, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

Working on friend's Acer Aspire One 722, on Mint 13.

Been doing lots of research with 'fixes' for the problem with the internal mic.
    The latest situation was that, using Audacity, the mic volume was low, accompanied by lots of background noise. If I increased the volume setting, the noise and signal both increased.
    Silencing one channel didn't help or make any real difference. I tried the patch to invert one channel, but the expected option in Alsamixer didn't show up.

Zooming in on the waveform in Audacity, I noticed that it was 50Hz, ie our mains frequency. Ah, I thought, mains hum, unplug the mains. Still had problem !

To cut a long story short, yesterday morning, I found that suddenly it was working! No noise at all. Later, I realised that the mains adapter was switched off, but plugged in. I think one of the earlier steps had fixed the initial 'not working' problem, but I hadn't noticed as I was then following the noise issue.

So, in summary. Mains plugged in - lots of noise. Mains unplugged, still noise, but less, I think. Mains plugged in but switched off - laptop now earthed? - it works nicely, so far.

No sound on skype is next.

I hope that helps someone a bit.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

More Info

Acer Aspire One 722-025
    Xubuntu 12.04 64 Bit
    Atheros AR8152 v2. Fast Ethernet
    Radeon HD 6290
    ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio Radeon HD 6250/6310

Symptoms:

1.) Requires Network Boot Option First or Linux Boot-Up will lock up (requiring a hard reboot).

2.) Suspend works on open source driver. However:

2b.) Randomly boots to a blank black screen after GRUB. Able to log in, but still only see a blank screen. Switching to TTY 1-6 is no help.

3.) Installing FGLRX Updates works but then Suspend doesn't work (don't even mention hibernate).

The biggest problem right now is the blank black screen at boot up. This appears to be random.

I tried to the following solution:

Changing:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet console=tty1 acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux acer_wmi.blacklist=yes mem=1920mb”

in etc/default/grub

From here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12718...-to-blackscree

But the modification didn't help. I sometimes have to reboot 5 or 6 times to get 'X'. At this point, I still default to Windows as the better option. If I could solve the blank screen problem, that would be a game changer.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; November 2nd, 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Beans

VTPoet,

Just out of curiosity, are you running the STA broadcom drivers? I have a feeling that this driver fixed my boot issues (i.e. I no longer need "network boot").

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ard213 View Post
    VTPoet,

Just out of curiosity, are you running the STA broadcom drivers? I have a feeling that this driver fixed my boot issues (i.e. I no longer need "network boot").
    No.

I've got an Atheros Chip. Here's the whole enchilada.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor Root Complex
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6290]
    00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310]
    00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 42)
    00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40)
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
    00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
    00:15.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
    00:15.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
    00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
    00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
    00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    07:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Beans

On my AAO 722-0369 I just installed latest 12.10 Catalyst drivers from the AMD website on Ubuntu 12.04 and resume from suspend works. I am not sure if there is any graphics, performance, or battery life improvement yet.

Beans

I have simplified my trick to have a workable suspend/wake with catalyst. I actually use Xubuntu 12.04. Here we go:

Configuration
    ============
    Open a terminal and:
    Code:
    sudo VISUAL=/usr/bin/leafpad visudo
    For each user on the laptop, add a line like this (replace bruno with user name):
    Code:
    %bruno ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/pm-suspend
    Then, create a file in your ~/bin directory (or anywhere else in your $path). Name this file with a very short name easy to remember and to type "in blind". Here I choose the name "ve" (in french, veille means suspend). Make it executable (change its permission). Edit this file and add this line:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
    Using the trick
    ============
    For the first suspend (after a fresh boot), you have to:
    1) press CTRL-ALT-F1 and login on this text console
    2) enter your command (the short name, for me: "ve") => the laptop goes to sleep
    3) press a key to wake the laptop => see nothing...
    4) type your command again (in blind) => the laptop goes to sleep again
    5) press a key to wake the laptop => see nothing...
    6) press CTRL-ALT-F7 to return to X

After, you can sleep and resume from the graphical interface until the next reboot. Yes, there is a trick for the first sleep, but it is now very simple to execute. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by brub2 View Post
    A little progress in the suspend/wake with catalyst saga. I managed how to get my trick works on xubuntu 12.04.

Here is what I do from the desktop:
    1) CTRL-ALT-F1 and login on this text console.
    2) sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend (have to enter the passwd since this is the first sudo)
    3) press a key to wake the laptop => see nothing...
    4) sudo vbetool post => I enter this command "in blind" and then the backlight appears with a blinking cursor
    5) sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend => I also do this "in blind" (yes, a second sleep is required)
    6) repeat steps 3 and 4
    7) CTRL-ALT-F7 (or maybe CTRL-ALT-F8 => voilà! (return to the desktop)

No idea why I have to do it twice, but it works. The GOOD part is that if I suspend the laptop from X after this, it works (until the next reboot)!!! I will have to test more to see if it's reliable. Right now, I'm with the wl (proprietary) wifi driver (I dont' know if it matters).

Now I would need help to simplify/improve the process. I could probably automate the "vbetool post" command in a script called lastly in the wake process (/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change).

[/URL]

Beans

I have one "huge" problem and one not so huge problem:

1) Huge problem, how to set up internal microphone so it will work with skype, google video chat?

2) How to make boot time any less longer? I setup autologin disabled bluetooth service and some other that I don't need and boot time is taking way too long, about 45 seconds with autologin and about 60 seconds if requesting password.

Any tips how can I make boot time shorter? What services I don't need? It takes about 20 seconds from GRUB menu to the image where Xubuntu logo is loading. I think I have a bad configuration.

System I have: Xubuntu 12.10 fresh install
    bootchart: bootchart (see attachment)

Please upload your bootchart and specify what system you have Ubuntu / Xubuntu and release name.

EDIT: Here is the direct link to the image due to bad attachment: http://i.imgur.com/RT2nJ.png?1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by frojnd; November 23rd, 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: better resolution of picture

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast