Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

And here is the bootchart while on battery and autologin: http://i.imgur.com/RKBLX.png
    ~70 seconds

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Honestly, I'd recommend you install Xubuntu 12.04 LTS.
    12.10 boots slower and the mic does not work no matter what. There are tutorials for 12.04 and this thread is also helpful. You can still install Xfce 4.10 through PPA and enjoy most of the improvements.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

After Xubuntu 12.10 booted it was way more responsive than 12.04 (and I mean WAY MORE FASTER) and the blame goes to fglxrx drivers install. In Xubuntu 12.04 I wasn't able to install fglrx drivers within additiona drivers menu in Xubuntu. Also in 12.10 I'm able to suspend to RAM.

If I can do this on 12.4 I'd glad to switch to 12.4

Oh and one of the reason I switched to 12.10 was because I had this random black screens while booting! With 12.10 I disabled boot priority first for ethhernet and those problems are gone -> using Broadcom chipset.

If I can pass through those two limitations I'd switch immediately, but in 12.4 was not able to boot when black screen and this is kinda frustrating.
    Last edited by frojnd; November 24th, 2012 at 12:45 PM.

Beans

Hi!
    I wonder if anyone has tried the new bios v 1.11 (13-NOV-2012) for this little fellow...and report if some of the issues exposed here are resolved...
    http://support.acer.com/us/en/produc...5&modelId=3658

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.h View Post
    Hi!
    I wonder if anyone has tried the new bios v 1.11 (13-NOV-2012) for this little fellow...and report if some of the issues exposed here are resolved...
    http://support.acer.com/us/en/produc...5&modelId=3658
    I am now running the latest BIOS, and have nothing to report. The computer still works, but I have not noticed any change from 1.08. FWIW, my computer is a 722-0473

I do have a quick note on another matter:

When running radeon drivers on 12.10, I often had boot issues (computer would crash at blank/purple screens). Installing the ATI catalyst drivers fixed that. The installation was a pain, however (LewisTM had posted about this, IIRC). Installing the fglrx drivers that come packaged in ubuntu would break Unity, as would a manual install from ATI's website.

The solution was to install the drivers manually (as per http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide ) and then install the fglrx-updates from the ubuntu repositories. This has to be done with unity broken, so start a terminal with
    Code:
     ctrl+alt+t,
    then run
    Code:
    software-center-gtk3
    . The computer will be VERY slow, but stick with it. From this point on you should be able to navigate to "software sources" and install the fglrx-updates. Upon reboot, Unity was fixed (and my battery life was much improved, as was the case with catalyst and Oneiric).

FWIW, I understand that many people run Xubuntu or Lubuntu happily, but I find that Unity makes my life easier (launching documents from the dash is a huge time-saver), and so I stick to the regular distro. My performance may suffer a bit, but nothing major. To each their own, but this is just to say that vanilla Ubuntu can work with this netbook.

Beans

>>I am now running the latest BIOS, and have nothing to report.

I have discovered that the freeze, which used to happen if the network boot was not the 1st boot choice in BIOS... is solved now!

Beans

I have discovered that the freeze, which used to happen if the network boot was not the 1st boot choice in BIOS... is solved now!
    For me, that was solved by the STA wireless driver, but good to know!

Beans

Hi. jazz.h whitch version of ubuntu are you using? In 12.10 that issue is solved without upgrading bios

Guys, what about sleep mode after the latest updates, on my ao722 c-60 ubuntu 12.04.1 with catalyst 9.002 its not working again :/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pharee View Post
    Guys, what about sleep mode after the latest updates, on my ao722 c-60 ubuntu 12.04.1 with catalyst 9.002 its not working again :/
    I'm running catalyst and 12.10 on my 722, and suspend works perfectly. I have not tested hibernate (which is still grayed out -- perhaps there is a way around that).

Beans

I'm currently on Mint 13 KDE, meaning Ubuntu 12.04.
    Suspend works great, without catalyst drivers.
    Hibernate is by default disabled in KDE, haven't tried that, I'm used to avoide hibernate anyway because of tripple boot...

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast