Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Zzaaaaaaaaaarko! You are awesome! Thank you for explaining the fixes for a complete newb. It really saved my Acer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gobrozhogolo View Post
    except for suspend u mentioned uv managed to change the driver to radeon to fix the suspend? how do u install the open source radeon and switch it on instead of catalyst?
    Open Additional Drivers, and disable proprietary ATI/AMD driver. After restarting, you should be runnung open source radeon driver.

Beans

open source radeon driver.
    Where is open source radeon driver? How to install?
    I have A0722 follow your step fix a lot problem. I still have video problem.
    I tried install Ubuntu FGLRX and ATI driver. Both have "AMD unsupported hardware" watermark in the bottom right corner. Installed ati driver, then run "install-fglrx-debian.sh", the watermark gone. But I lost the "Unity plugin" left side icons. Do you any solution?

Thank you for you help,
    Azon Chan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by zzarko View Post
    Beacuse Jupiter (version 0.0.50) still doesn't have options for OSS Radeon driver power management, I added them manually (version 0.0.51 has this fix already included, thanks to fuduntu, so if you have this version, there is nothing more to do for step 2). To do this, on the same terminal type:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /usr/lib/jupiter/vendors/Acer
    cd /usr/lib/jupiter/vendors/Acer
    gedit battery power
    When gedit opens, copy this to battery script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
    and this to power script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
    Save both scripts and close gedit. Then, type this in terminal:
    Code:
    chmod 755 battery power
    i'd do this adding a script under /etc/pm/power.d/ which are executed everytime a charger is connected and disconnected.

this is one of my scripts applying powersaving policies to my wifi card:
    Code:
    sbraz@sbraz-netbook:/etc/pm/power.d$ cat 2_wireless-power-management 
    #!/bin/sh
    if on_ac_power; then
    iwconfig eth1 power off
    else
    iwconfig eth1 power on
    fi
    i have some scripts doing similar stuff, one of them manages folding@home so it doesn't run on battery, others manage different powersaving switches.

the main advantage of using /etc/pm/power.d/* scripts is that they doesn't rely on userspace tools which might introduce bugs or use valuable ram amounts and they run even when X is not running.

about your microphone issues, i have an acer aspire one 721 with 10.10 and i got so fed up with pulseaudio issues that i just got rid of the whole thing in favour of esound... now everything works fine. make a backup and give it a try.
    http://ptspts.blogspot.com/2009/09/h...on-debian.html (this is a bit old, it might require some changes).
    the orthographic errors i usually type are always intentionall
    http://xkcd.com/627/
    no scrolling with synaptics/alps touchpad? have a look HERE

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azonc View Post
    Where is open source radeon driver? How to install?
    I have A0722 follow your step fix a lot problem. I still have video problem.
    I tried install Ubuntu FGLRX and ATI driver. Both have "AMD unsupported hardware" watermark in the bottom right corner. Installed ati driver, then run "install-fglrx-debian.sh", the watermark gone. But I lost the "Unity plugin" left side icons. Do you any solution?

Thank you for you help,
    Azon Chan
    I'm not quite sure what you did, but I guess you tried to install fglrx drivers from AMD's site, or using some script (I don't know what "install-fglrx-debian.sh" does). To enable open source drivers, you just need to uninstall AMD drivers. Detailed instructions can be found at:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx

If you still don't have Unity plugin, try to enable it in ccsm (Compiz Config Settings Manager, it can be installed from Software Center). Also, maybe you switched session from Ubuntu to Ubuntu Classic (check that on your login screen).

I hope this helps. Best regards,
    Zarko

Beans

So if i was to uninstall my current catalyst driver so that radeon driver kicks in can i still use the hd cord to my sound stereo or tv somehow?

Beans

To enable open source drivers, you just need to uninstall AMD drivers. Detailed instructions can be found at:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx
    I follow it to install. I still have "Unsupported Hardware" Watermark. Is your A0722 C-50/AMD-6270? My is C-60/AMD-6290. I can't find it on AMD web site. It may not support in 11.8 version. Anyway, Thank you so much.

Beans

I follow it to install. I still have "Unsupported Hardware" Watermark.
    Then, you still have Catalyst driver. Did yoy maybe install it from Software center AND form amd's site?
    Is your A0722 C-50/AMD-6270? My is C-60/AMD-6290. I can't find it on AMD web site. It may not support in 11.8 version. Anyway, Thank you so much.
    Yes, mine is C-50.C-60 just got out a few weeks ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Beans

Just a quick note on jupiter
    OP mentioned "Don't close the terminal yet. Start the program (Alt+F2, type jupiter)". Well, the command is actually not jupiter, but "jupiter-run"

As for microphone, with the given instruction, I haven't been able to use the mic at acceptable volume in skype/google talk yet. Still working on it.

But above all, I am still running into system freezes even after I set Netboot as the first in the boot order. It seems that at first boot, you still need to plugin the cat-5, and once it is booted, you can unplug it.

Beans

Talking Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Quote Originally Posted by zzarko View Post
    4. Headphone sensing and internal microphone. In default Ubuntu 11.04 on 722, when you plug your headphones, the sound from speakers isn't turned off and internal microphone isn't working. To solve these issues, download and install (by double-clicking on it):
    Code:
    http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/temp/alsa-hda-dkms-acer3830tg_0.1_all.deb
    This patch is actually for another Acer laptop, but I found that it solves the same problem on 722.
    Thanks zzarko! I spent all night trying to find solution for this until I found your post!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast