Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Quote Originally Posted by ard213 View Post
    Catalyst 12.3
    Are you satisfied with 12.3 drivers, suspend and hibernation working or not?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.h View Post
    Are you satisfied with 12.3 drivers, suspend and hibernation working or not?
    Suspend and hibernate do not work, but I've upgraded my RAM after installing Ubuntu, so my swap isn't big enough -- regardless, I suspect that they wouldn't work anyway.

The performance (most noticeably on hulu and youtube) and battery life of my netbook is better with Catalyst than with the open-source drivers, so I choose to stick with Catalyst. I may give the open source drivers a shot after upgrading to 12.04, though. I had back to back 3-hour seminars this semester, and so I needed as much battery life as possible from my netbook. It looks like that won't be the case next semester, so the video performance will dictate which driver I pick.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ard213; April 27th, 2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Nice strategy, reasonably thinking... Thanks for the 12.3 report.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

After update from 11.10 to 12.04 wlan doesn't work anymore. After login a message shows up, that the conncetion was terminated, but the systems shows the connection as enabled without any networks. even if i reenable the connection, no wlan is listed. blacklisting bcma doesn't work for me :/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by b1gag3 View Post
    After update from 11.10 to 12.04 wlan doesn't work anymore. After login a message shows up, that the conncetion was terminated, but the systems shows the connection as enabled without any networks. even if i reenable the connection, no wlan is listed. blacklisting bcma doesn't work for me :/
    FWIW, I just updated my netbook (AO722-0473) to 12.04, and have no issues with the wireless adapter. In fact, the L.E.D. finally turns on (to orange) when the wifi is on. In 11.10, that l.e.d. never came on.

I did notice a couple of things as I was upgrading, however:

1 - the upgrade process seems to crash right as it begins to install the new packages. In fact, the updater was waiting for my input, but no window came up to let me know. By clicking on the "show terminal" toggle on the updater window I was able to see a prompt, and after that installation proceeded as normal (I did need to answer yes or no to a handful of prompts through out).

2 - Though I opted to keep my old sudoers configuration file, I did update the networkmanager.conf file when prompted. Perhaps this is why my wifi is working well?

Anyway, 12.04 seems to be working quite well so far. I'm running the stock open drivers, and will report back on the performance after I have some more time with it. At any rate, I won't change back to Catalyst until I feel that I'm missing something (performance, battery life, whatever).

hope this helps!

P.S. Oh yes, if you are running Catalyst, make sure to first uninstall it and rehabilitate the open drivers as per the catalyst wiki.
    Last edited by ard213; April 28th, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

Beans

I just wanted to chime in that this is a great netbook for Ubuntu 11.04 and so far for 12.04. However, suspend isn't working with the Catalyst drivers via the Ubuntu Additional Drivers method or direct download of the 12.4 driver from AMD website for me. However, the Catalyst driver does improve battery life by a large margin (10 watts down to 7 watts for normal usage).

We have just bought 200+ and will install Ubuntu for use in schools and I would love to get the battery life of the Catalyst driver combined with the suspend of the OSS driver. Any ideas, appreciated! We have hundreds of future Ubuntu users in our classrooms, and I want to give them the best experience possible!

This is the 722-0369 model: C60 chip with AMD Radeon HD 6290

Beans

I'd be interested in a way to suspend with catalyst as well, as I'm now back to using it.

Neither the stock radeon drivers nor those in the x-swat ppa gave me enough performance to stream in 720p from Hulu. Video was laggy, and cpu temps shot up to 83 degrees.

With Catalyst 12.4, Hulu streams smoothly, and temperatures seem to peak around 75 degrees.

Boot and shut down times may be a bit faster with the radeon drivers, btw.

Cheers,

Beans

To all of you who would like a functional suspend-resume with Catalyst, please put some pressure on this AMD bug file: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=327. Also this Ubuntu bug: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+so...ux/+bug/767975

Beans

There is also: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=199. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody@cchtml.com is always assigned to Linux AMD Catalyst issues...

Beans

I have an issue with the internal mic on my 722 running 11.04. It works fine (with a bit of hum), but it randomly turns itself off. I have to go to Sound prefernces and check and uncheck the mute by the input and then it works fine for as long as I am recording, but if I stop recording, close whatever program I am using (sound recorder, audacity, webcam capture) and then try to record again later, I have to repeat the mic mute and unmute steps. Any ideas?

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast