Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Quote Originally Posted by thunderriver View Post
    As for microphone, with the given instruction, I haven't been able to use the mic at acceptable volume in skype/google talk yet. Still working on it.

But above all, I am still running into system freezes even after I set Netboot as the first in the boot order. It seems that at first boot, you still need to plugin the cat-5, and once it is booted, you can unplug it.
    Regarding your problems, do you maybe have newer 722 netbook with C-60 processor, like azonc? I didn't see the specs for that one, maybe some other hardware got changed too. I didn't have a single freeze when booting since I allowed netboot. Maybe method from post #4 could help you. Also, post #14 has a different solution to sound problems.

Beans

So, I bought have an Acer Aspire One 722 as well and put Ubuntu 10.04 on it. I have been dealing with some of the problems you listed as well and the one that has really stumped me lately is the headphones problem. I tried the patch you posted but it won't install correctly.

aplay -l outputs:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec outputs:

Codec: ATI R6xx HDMI

and I am using kernel version 2.6.32-33-generic

Does anybody know what I could do? The only obvious difference between my problem and the original poster's problem seems to be the distro version. Is there another alsamixer patch for Lucid? Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Hmm, I have a 722 with a c60 and I had freezes but they went away after messing with it.

My settings that currently work:

1) Updating the bios *1.04 for me *
    2) I'm using the proprietary AMD blob and it's working fine, I just don't have suspend or hibernate because of a bug <UGH>. Attached is the "remove watermark script" that I used.
    3) In the "Main" tab in the bios I have selected Quiet boot <enabled, Network Boot <disabled>, F12 boot menu <enabled>, D2D Recovery <enabled> and SATA Mode <AHCI MODE>. In the boot tab I also have Network Boot 1st and HDD0 : Hitachi 2nd.
    4. I'm not using the Broadcom STA wireless driver from "additional Drivers"

5. I blacklisted a couple of things in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf appending the following to the end of the file. This disabled the local ethernet device "no freeze ups" and the video framebuffer. Honestly, you might want to not disable the vesafb. seems okay for me with AMD proprietary driver, bootup just isn't so pretty.

blacklist vesafb
    blacklist atl1c

** issues I've noticed
    1) suspend and hibernate don't work with the AMD video driver
    2) when using the microphone with skype or google vice, I need to go to "sound preferences" > "input tab" and toggle the "connector" and then it works.

BTW - the HDMI work great with my tv, even with the audio, just make sure you change the sound device when and when not using it.

Good luck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In regards to the wireless, you can avoid the need to do anything hackish like moving netboot first if you just remove the broadcom-wl driver via the proprietary drivers menu and instead use the open source brcm80211 driver, known as brcmsmac.

The brcm driver should be available by default in Ubuntu 11.04 and be used as long as you disable the wl driver via the additional drivers menu. Cheers.

Beans

Hi,
    most of the zzarko's fixes works for me and it's great! But I have little problem with the OSS driver. I want to use the OSS driver due it's much more faster than the proprietary one but with this I can't use Unity and (and this is the main problem for me!) can't rotate the screen. when I used the FGLRX from ATI/AMD it worked fine (and I got even more possibilities in screen resolution in Jupiter) but slower and the "unsupported..." watermark appeared..

have anybody some advice how to fix the rotation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 (64-bit) on my new AO722. This thread was very useful, many thanks to all contributors.

Here is a summary from my experience that may be helpful to other users:

1. Sound issues were solved in one easy step using the Step 1 in this page

After the restart,microphone and headphone sensing started working.

2. Installing latest(11.8 ) ATI graphics driver from AMD web site caused suspend problems as mentioned before. I got help from this page (see "Removing the proprietary fglrx driver")to carefully remove ATI driver (fglrx) and then installed back the open source Radeon driver from Synaptic Package Manager. I followed zzarko's solution for the power management issues of this driver. As I don't use Unity, I am satisfied with this solution.

3. Wifi connection was very problematic initially. Installing the broadcom-sta-source (v 5.60.48.36-3) from Synaptic-Package-Manager solved the problems.

I am quite happy with the results: no Windows, great Ubuntu and much better performing AO722

Beans
    Distro

Just as a tip, things are working great without extra effort in Kubuntu 11.10 Beta, and did in Ubuntu 11.10 as well but 1) Ubuntu 11.10 is less stable atm and 2) I have taken a liking to KDE because of its programs and the ability to easily turn off desktop effects for when playing games (shift+alt+f12 - yes please ).

But yeah, the hardware in this laptop is quite new and as such the next generation of up-to-date Linux distros are where we are going to find a lot of fixes already done, and properly, because they have been fixed in upstream software. Not sure about things in regards to the Catalyst drivers though, as sadly they are not part of the changing open source world. Cheers.

Beans

Hello, before anything thank you zzarco I am new in ubuntu so is kind of hard to change my windows mind but I am enjoin it, I found this problem after I wrote in the terminal gedit battery power and the laptop does not wake up from suspend
    (gedit:3412): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.BV241V': No such file or directory

(gedit:3412): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

Thank you for your help

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinVzla View Post
    Hello, before anything thank you zzarco I am new in ubuntu so is kind of hard to change my windows mind but I am enjoin it, I found this problem after I wrote in the terminal gedit battery power and the laptop does not wake up from suspend
    (gedit:3412): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.BV241V': No such file or directory

(gedit:3412): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

Thank you for your help
    The gedit error should be a non-issue related to running it as root, and suspend not working is an issue with the proprietary driver from the additional drivers dialogue. Suspend works fine with the open source driver, however.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emilywind View Post
    The gedit error should be a non-issue related to running it as root, and suspend not working is an issue with the proprietary driver from the additional drivers dialogue. Suspend works fine with the open source driver, however.
    So What should I do?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast