Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Quote Originally Posted by antinea View Post
    hi all,

1. Freezing after login (with unplugged network cable)

for me,
    This is caused by ethernet driver, not wireless.
    Easy fix is to install an "ALX driver" instead of atl1c.
    I just updated to 12.10, and this issue seems to be fixed (fingers crossed). I was able to boot without the network option with no freezes.

No fixes yet on the slow wifi on battery power (other than the temporary fix I posted above), but there's activity on the bug I filed, which is very promising.

Beans

Has anyone here managed to update their BIOS using FreeDOS? I was asked to update mine to the latest bios (1.8 ) to see if that cures my wifi problems, but so far have been unable to do so.

I have created a FreeBIOS bootable USB using unetbootin, copied the DOS folder from the Acer .zip file to that usb, and tried to run bios.bat (curiously named bios.bat.bat), but I get an error message. Even if I try to run
    Code:
    flashit.exe /h
    I get the same error message.

FWIW, I have an ao722-0473, running bios 1.5

I tried renaming bios.bat.bat to bios.bat, and have tried following the steps listed here, but still had no success.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Nevermind, got it. It seems that when you boot into FreeDOS, you must choose option 5 (Live CD only), as opposed to the other two live CD options. Also, you absolutely must be plugged into the AC for the bios to flash (though I'm sure I was every other time).
    Last edited by ard213; October 20th, 2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I had hopes, but... my netbook is a 522 and the boot on lan fix did not work for me. Boots into (X)ububtu and freezes when asking for input. Oh well...

Beans

A new Catalyst 12.10 driver is out I installed it and everything seems to work perfectly. I only noticed the HDMI video output for 1920x1080 not working.
    Last edited by Fo2adZz; October 25th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Beans

Did you try 12.10 Catalyst on Ubuntu 12.10 (nice coincidence), or on Ubuntu 12.04?
    Never mind for 1080p video reproduction, windows in dual boot will work for that perfectly through hdmi...
    But if the temp and suspend will work with 12.10 drv on 12.04 Ubuntu it would be fine for me...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

FYI the 12.9 Catalyst can be installed directly from within Ubuntu by selecting the fglrx-updates driver. Once enabled, it will support Suspend. For the first time, we have a fully functional, high-performance driver available through official channels
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 12.04.1

Just bought this laptop and am having all the aforementioned problems - installing 12.04.1. Specifically, changing boot order in BIOS (and enabling Network Boot) doesn't help one iota. So far, I'm reading through page 4 of this thread and I still can't figure out how to install Ubuntu. Is it necessary to install Ubuntu without a Network connection? I'm feeling pretty discouraged with this little laptop.

Edit: Hail Mary. Am installing Ubuntu with a wired connection (since wireless causes the laptop to lock up). Not sure what I'll do once the installation is done. Just start throwing all the different hacks at it, I guess. Maybe it will behave differently with a full install, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: OK. Wow. I just spent the morning and afternoon getting Ubuntu setup, and it was a complete waste of time. When I try to reboot, I either get a blank purple screen, a split screen or no screen at all. It's a complete mess. All of you seem to have gotten Linux to work on your Acer laptops, but I think my particular incarnation is simply not Linux compatible.

Update: Nuked the Ubuntu/Unity installation. Installed Xubuntu/Voyager. Everything is sweet as cream. Faster. Smoother. No problems. Wireless works. Suspend works. Still some things I haven't tried, but night and day. Still haven't installed the closed source video drivers. Not sure I need to or am going to.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; October 29th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.h View Post
    Did you try 12.10 Catalyst on Ubuntu 12.10 (nice coincidence), or on Ubuntu 12.04?
    Never mind for 1080p video reproduction, windows in dual boot will work for that perfectly through hdmi...
    But if the temp and suspend will work with 12.10 drv on 12.04 Ubuntu it would be fine for me...
    Suspend works just perfectly (using Ubuntu 12.04) even youtube runs smoother now

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LewisTM View Post
    FYI the 12.9 Catalyst can be installed directly from within Ubuntu by selecting the fglrx-updates driver. Once enabled, it will support Suspend. For the first time, we have a fully functional, high-performance driver available through official channels
    What do you mean "we" kemo sahbe? I installed 12.9 and it broke both hibernate and
    suspend. Still deciding whether to go back to open source where everything just worked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    What do you mean "we" kemo sahbe? I installed 12.9 and it broke both hibernate and
    suspend. Still deciding whether to go back to open source where everything just worked.
    Indeed. On my 722-0473, installing catalyst on 12.10 broke unity (or kept it from loading). The open-source works well enough, but with shorter battery life than catalyst in 11.10.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast