Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

I got no gnome-shell with the open source drivers. With the fglrx drivers I got no suspend. Sure would like to get get both.

Update: I think I got it. The latest and greatest proprietary drivers have addressed the issue of suspend. To install I created and ran the following script...
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cd /usr/src
    sh /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh
    apt-get remove --purge -y fglrx xserver-xorg-video-radeon 
    apt-get remove --purge -y xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    apt-get remove --purge -y fglrx*
    wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.zip
    unzip ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.zip
    chmod +x ./*.run
    sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.run
    I suppose I should mention that I'm using 12.04.
    Last edited by ant2ne; December 17th, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
    Registered Linux User: 450747 Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Beans

I just replaced the HDD in my AO722 with an Intel 330 SSD (60GB), and in the process of re-installing the system I struggled once again to get catalyst installed. Neither the fglrx or fglrx-updates in the repositories or catalyst 12.10 would install without breaking unity.

The answer, in the end, was really simple: I needed to install linux-headers-generic before catalyst could work.

I just ran the following, and rebooted when it was done, and the system is running perfectly well:

Code:
     sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic fglrx-updates
    Hopefully this will help some of you.

Also, the SSD is really nice so far (boot up and shut down are very fast)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ard213 View Post
    I just replaced the HDD in my AO722 with an Intel 330 SSD (60GB), and in the process of re-installing the system I struggled once again to get catalyst installed. Neither the fglrx or fglrx-updates in the repositories or catalyst 12.10 would install without breaking unity.

The answer, in the end, was really simple: I needed to install linux-headers-generic before catalyst could work.

I just ran the following, and rebooted when it was done, and the system is running perfectly well:

Code:

*forehead smack* I bet that is why my gnome-shell didn't work either. I could install fglrx-updates but it wouldn't log in as gnome-shell. I'm thinking that my method (above) isn't ideal because the system feels a little more sluggish than it did under mint.

As fate would have it, I'm right now looking at SSDs for mine. I don't suppose you could link me to the one you just purchased if you are happy with it. What kind of battery life improvement have you noticed?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ant2ne View Post
    *forehead smack* I bet that is why my gnome-shell didn't work either. I could install fglrx-updates but it wouldn't log in as gnome-shell. I'm thinking that my method (above) isn't ideal because the system feels a little more sluggish than it did under mint.

As fate would have it, I'm right now looking at SSDs for mine. I don't suppose you could link me to the one you just purchased if you are happy with it. What kind of battery life improvement have you noticed?
    The SSD I bought is this one. The price is a bit high now, so I'd wait till it comes down again. I bought the 60GB one for $59.99.

I haven't had it long enough to see how the battery life has changed, but I'll post an update once I have a few weeks of use under my belt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ard213 View Post

Code:

I got my SSD and did a re-install. I tried this method, but with these fglrx-updates I still got now suspend and resume. Which is a bug fixed in the latest proprietary from their website.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

Does suspend and resume work for you with fglrx? Is there some other step I'm missing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ant2ne View Post

Does suspend and resume work for you with fglrx? Is there some other step I'm missing?
    Not sure why our systems aren't working the same way, but I'm running fglrx-updates, and suspend and resume work perfectly. I did try to install catalyst 12.10 before purging it and installing fglrx-updates alongside linux-headers-generic. Perhaps something from catalyst 12.10 stuck around and allowed suspend/resume to work? Go figure.

How do you like the SSD so far? I'm seeing some battery life improvement, but I haven't sat down and tried to figure out how much yet...

The main improvements I'm seeing are boot-up & shut down, which are really fast, and the time it takes to save large files in libreoffice. My netbook used to lag for a few seconds when working on large papers, but now ctrl+s is lightning fast!

Beans

A note for everyone who might come across this:

Most of the details are at the community page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne722

And much of what's on this forum is outdated. If you download the latest stable Catalyst drivers directly from AMD's website, they work flawlessly. All the other issues are basically fixed with the latest BIOS the broadcom proprietary drivers and/or the more recent kernel. The kernel in 12.10, i.e. Linux 3.5 (or later of course) basically deals with the last remaining possible issues.

I've got everything work well on my system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolftune View Post
    A note for everyone who might come across this:

Most of the details are at the community page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne722
    Hey wolftune, thanks for your work (also on the Wiki guides).

However, because the AO522 and the AO722 are essentially the same machine, I'd rather we focus our efforts on a single page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne522), to avoid dispersion of information and duplicating the same work too. In my opinion anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have made some progress with the microphone in 12.10. It seems to be working OK now.
    I tinkered with the sound settings in alsamixer. I found that the internal mic was functional only when it was set as the only CAPTURE device, which can be toggled with the spacebar. To properly initialize the mic, I had to set the Mic volume as well as both Mic Boost controls to max, toggle the red CAPTURE to Mic then back to 'Internal Mic'.

I have attached a screenshot as well as a working asound.state file which should be placed in /var/lib/alsa and applied at login with alsactl restore.

Hope this helps someone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LewisTM; February 21st, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223