Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Quote Originally Posted by biodojo View Post
    I am still struggling with wireless on the BCM4313 card models of the Acer Asipre One 722. We have 200 of them running 12.04 using the brcmsmac driver. They connect and can browse fine for awhile. However, when a decent load is put on the card (some video, a few webpages loading at once) the netbook can no longer ping anything. Network manager doesn't report disconnect and if I wait a minute, network traffic can resume. Does anyone have an Acer Aspire One with the BCM4313 card working reliably?
    I have solved the wifi problem moreover it seems like no longer I have to set the ethernet adapter to be the first boot form bios or it was the case with lastes kernel update 3.2.0-26

My setup:
    UBUNTU 12.04 - 64bits
    wifi: BCM4313

1. Add this to blacklist

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist brcm80211
    blacklist b43
    blacklist brcmsmac
    blacklist brcmfmac
    blacklist ssb
    blacklist bcma
    2. add this to /etc/rc.local

modprobe -r wl
    sleep 10
    modprobe wl
    It has to be placed before
    exit 0

Fighting with SUSPEND/RESUME now - had a nice reusult like PC goes to suspend and when almost OFF it comes back again. (from X.org to X.org)
    Last edited by Makcum; June 28th, 2012 at 07:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Makcum View Post
    I have solved the wifi problem moreover it seems like no longer I have to set the ethernet adapter to be the first boot form bios or it was the case with lastes kernel update 3.2.0-26

My setup:
    UBUNTU 12.04 - 64bits
    wifi: BCM4313

1. Add this to blacklist

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

2. add this to /etc/rc.local

It has to be placed before
    exit 0

Fighting with SUSPEND/RESUME now - had a nice reusult like PC goes to suspend and when almost OFF it comes back again. (from X.org to X.org)
    I can confirm that this works. I managed to boot straight to the HD with these modifications (my netbook has a BCM4313 as well).

Could I ask you to post a brief explanation of each step? I assume that the first is nothing more than blacklisting drivers that may lead to conflcits, but I'm unfamiliar with modprobe, and would like to learn a bit more about what I have just done to my netbook

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ard213 View Post
    I can confirm that this works. I managed to boot straight to the HD with these modifications (my netbook has a BCM4313 as well).

Could I ask you to post a brief explanation of each step? I assume that the first is nothing more than blacklisting drivers that may lead to conflcits, but I'm unfamiliar with modprobe, and would like to learn a bit more about what I have just done to my netbook
    in short.
    It will unload the wifi module, wait for 10 seoconds and then load the wifi module again.

Beans

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Beans

Please Makcum (or anyone getting improvements with post#171) help me to clarify these things.

1) What do you get with this command: lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
    Here I get [14e4:4727] BCM4313 (rev 01) and observe no problem with BOTH the open source (brcmsmac) driver or the proprietary one (wl). Maybe there are some hardware variations and this could explain why some have problems with the open source driver. Otherwise, I miss something...

2) Do you have a (nearer) working suspend/wake (with catalyst) with your trick? Can you elaborate?

3) It may be related to 1) but if I activate the proprietary driver (wl) via the ubuntu applet, I don't have any of your blacklisted module in lsmod. As I understand, it is automatically done by the driver installation (a blacklist-bcm43.conf is written). In fact, on my system the proprietary driver was activated by default (xubuntu 12.04). I removed it to test the open source one. Later, I reactivated it. All with the "additional drivers" applet. So I don't see why I should manually blacklist these modules and manually load the wl module in /etc/rc.local. I tried it anyway, but see no difference in suspend/wake.

Beans

A little progress in the suspend/wake with catalyst saga. I managed how to get my trick works on xubuntu 12.04.

Here is what I do from the desktop:
    1) CTRL-ALT-F1 and login on this text console.
    2) sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend (have to enter the passwd since this is the first sudo)
    3) press a key to wake the laptop => see nothing...
    4) sudo vbetool post => I enter this command "in blind" and then the backlight appears with a blinking cursor
    5) sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend => I also do this "in blind" (yes, a second sleep is required)
    6) repeat steps 3 and 4
    7) CTRL-ALT-F7 (or maybe CTRL-ALT-F8 => voilà! (return to the desktop)

No idea why I have to do it twice, but it works. The GOOD part is that if I suspend the laptop from X after this, it works (until the next reboot)!!! I will have to test more to see if it's reliable. Right now, I'm with the wl (proprietary) wifi driver (I dont' know if it matters).

Now I would need help to simplify/improve the process. I could probably automate the "vbetool post" command in a script called lastly in the wake process (/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change).

Quote Originally Posted by brub2 View Post
    Interested by Catalyst with suspend and resume? Really, it seems possible to get a workaround. See my post on this subject here:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...f=191&t=104875

Last edited by brub2; July 19th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brub2 View Post

1) What do you get with this command: lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
    Here I get [14e4:4727] BCM4313 (rev 01)
    I get the same output as yours, and I have never had problems with the open source driver either. I followed the above instructions in an attempt to boot straight to the hard drive (i.e. without attempting to boot to ethernet first), and it worked.

I just uninstalled the broadcom driver, undid the blacklists and modprobe commands above, and was still able to boot straight to the hard drive without Ubuntu locking up. I could swear that this was not possible before, but go figure. Maybe I hadn't tested it with the latest stable kernel...

Fwiw, I'm now running kernel 3.2.0-26

Beans

By the way, does anyone know how to get HDMI audio from the ao722 and Radeon drivers? I have changed the grub line to
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"
    and updated grub, but I still cannot select the 2nd audio card on the ubuntu sound menu. I have even tried booting up with the HDMI cable connected, but to no avail.

I can see the second sound card in alsamixer, but not in the ubuntu sound menu.

FWIW, I get perfect picture, but no sound...

thanks in advance,

Beans

Does anyone else have the internal mic not work without toggling it off and on?

I did the alsamixer tweak and the mic works, however I need to toggle the mic off and on to get it to start working. Then if I don't use the mic for awhile I have to toggle it off and on again. So it is like power saver is turning off the mic, but then audio recording programs (like audacity and webcam capture) aren't waking it back up.

Beans

thank you very much for this useful thread!

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast