Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the compatibility of Ubuntu64 now-a-days?

Beans

whats the compatibility of Ubuntu64 now-a-days?

i remember back when i first started using Ubuntu when 8.04 came out there was hardly any support for the 64bit version so i went back to 32 and when i upgraded to 10.4 a few months ago i did the same but recently i was going to try out the media streaming service Boxee but it only supports Ubuntu64 so it got me thinking about possibly upgrading if its actually being supported as much as 32 is/was

does anyone use 10.4-64, is there alot of reliable support at the moment?

reliable meaning that it doesnt require any beta versions of plugins/apps as well as Ubuntu itself(non-LTS, 10.10+)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: whats the compatibility of Ubuntu64 now-a-days?

I have used 32 bit since 7.10 up to 11.04. I got a new PC a few weeks ago with 8 GB of RAM, so I said "may as well" and installed 64 bit Ubuntu for the first time. I haven't had a single issue at all.

After that, I went ahead and installed a 64 bit OS on my laptop. In this case, Fedora 15. There was a minor issue with a particular game, but I fixed it instantly by installing a small package available in the repository.

Also, Flash performance on Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit is on par with my Windows 7 dual boot. Dunno if it's due to my relatively decent PC, but I have had none of the issues that people report. I do not have Flash installed on the laptop since Flash makes my CPU heat up to 85 degrees celcius.

I say go for it these days. Also, Flash performance on Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit is on par with my Windows 7 dual boot (needed it for college; haven't used Windows since early 2008). Dunno if it's due to my relatively decent PC, but I have had none of the issues that people report. I do not have Flash installed on the laptop since Flash makes my CPU heat up to 80 degrees celcius.

Beans

YES. There is a lot of Ubuntu support for 64 bit. If you have the processor, go for it.

The only real thing I can think of is Adobe's Flash, and those 32-bit only apps.

On Ubuntu, those can be remedied by installing Ubuntu Restricted Extras and ia32-libs (or something like that).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    YES. There is a lot of Ubuntu support for 64 bit. If you have the processor, go for it.

The only real thing I can think of is Adobe's Flash, and those 32-bit only apps.

On Ubuntu, those can be remedied by installing Ubuntu Restricted Extras and ia32-libs (or something like that).
    Flash works fine on my PC. That said, Adobe released the beta for Flash 11 which has a native 64-bit version.

And yes, just install the ia32 package and all will be well. I run lots of 32-bit only programs on both my laptop and desktop without a hitch.

Basically, you have nothing to lose.

Beans

64bit these days are just as compatible as 32bit. I wouldnt run anything other then 64bit unless hardware prohibited it.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copied from every other 64-bit thread for the last 3 years
    If you have a 64-bit processor use 64-bit.

Beans
    Distro

PhantmKllr here. Coming at you from 11.10 64-bit, and doing great. (Alpha testing, FTW!)

The water's fine, and getting warmer all the time. Feel free to jump in.
    -PhantmKllr

Dell Dimension 2400 (Upgraded, FTW!) -- Asus M4A785-M Motherboard -- AMD Phenom II x2 545 @ 3.00ghz -- 8gb RAM -- 500gb Samsung HDD -- Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 PNY XLR8

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can't attest to ubuntu, but arch 64-bit is smooth. I'm guessing ubuntu would be even better.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Recurring in 3... 2... 1...

Ubuntu 64-bit is just as good as Ubuntu 32-bit. Better, even, because it's got more modern optimisations enabled and it can address more memory. There's not been compatibility issues for me. Come to think of it, I've installed Boxee on a 32-bit machine in the past, there should be a PPA for Boxee.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I have been running 64-bit since 8.10. There used to be some Flash glitches, but no more. The only problem that I have seen recently was a proprietary printer driver that was 32-bit only. This is a rare problem, so you can just move over to 64-bit and things should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast