Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: get error saying command not found when i try to run gparted

Beans

get error saying command not found when i try to run gparted

get error saying command not found when i try to run gparted ? I also checked in the software center and it says remove which means its already installed ...but don't know why i get this message ...?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: get error saying command not found when i try to run gparted

You can not run gparted as a normal user, so I expect you got the error
    Code:
    Inhibit all polling failed: Only uid 0 is authorized to inhibit the daemon
    ; you need root permissions to run gparted.

The command you need is
    Code:
    gksudo gparted
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    The command you need is
    Code:
    gksudo gparted
    No, you do not "run" graphical commands from the command line - that is what GUI Menu items specifically set up for the program are for.

Telling people to use the command line when they shouldn't results in these issues.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    No, you do not "run" graphical commands from the command line - that is what GUI Menu items specifically set up for the program are for.

Telling people to use the command line when they shouldn't results in these issues.
    I wonder why gksudo exists

Edit: though i was being sarcastic i just re-read your post and think you meant it differently to how i read it
    Last edited by haqking; December 30th, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

either way executing gksudo gparted shows nothing , their si sjust a pause for some seconds and then thats it....

i didn't even go tthe error saying "Inhibit all polling failed: Only uid 0 is authorized to inhibit the daemon"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why not try removing Gparted and reinstall it
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

Actually, if the OP is trying to launch Gparted from the Dash -- and seeing nothing as a result, running it from inside a terminal is an excellent way to see if any error messages are produced when the app is launched.

So, for diagnostic purposes, running GUIs from the command line can be a useful approach.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Actually, if the OP is trying to launch Gparted from the Dash -- and seeing nothing as a result, running it from inside a terminal is an excellent way to see if any error messages are produced when the app is launched.

So, for diagnostic purposes, running GUIs from the command line can be a useful approach.
    hi
    that's it. i always running gparted from a shell (mostely working in a shell).
    but don't forget you have to run it from a root-shell
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post

Thanks for the confirmation Mark; I was beginning to doubt myself for suggesting "gksudo gparted".

@ dcstar.

Why do you suggest that you should not run a GUI application from terminal or a command in Alt+F2 or from dash and that it will cause such issues to occur? As long as you use gksudo <command> rather than sudo <command> for GUI apps there is absolutely no problem at all.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; December 30th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elliotn View Post
    Why not try removing Gparted and reinstall it
    i uninstalled and installed it again, now I am getting a different error saying "/usr/sbin/gpartedbin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    "

I run using sudo gparted

i looked for libgtkmm in usr/lib folder and its their in but of version higher i.e. libgtkmm-3.0.so.1 .. so Do i need to get a lower version exact if so how can i get libgtkmm-2.4.so.1 and should i place it in the gparted directory or apt-get will manage it itself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast