Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it cheaper to buy a complete desktop package or individual components?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

is it cheaper to buy a complete desktop package or individual components?

Hello,

I will be be needing to get a new desktop computer. I was wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy the components separately and install myself or to buy the complete package.

Because of the work I need to do on it, I will need Windows 7.

I won't need to play video games.
    I won't need high-tech audio card.

I will need a computer that can have a 2-screen setup (actually a 3-monitor setup is better).

The above is all the constraints I have to work with.

Update: budget for desktop is around $500.

Your comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by hanzj; July 23rd, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: is it cheaper to buy a complete desktop package or individual components?

Cheaper to buy a whole system.

I recently built a new box that cost me almost a grand - OS included. Probably could have gotten a prebuilt with similar specs for around 600-700.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

charlesA,
    thanks for your reply. Interesting that it's more economical to buy a whole system. I was leaning toward thinking that it would be cheaper to buy the parts separately because you save on labor costs.

I guess i'm learning about the business of computer hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

charles, i did not mention in my post, but I would like to spend no more than $500. Maybe your $1000 system was for extreme gaming?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    charlesA,
    thanks for your reply. Interesting that it's more economical to buy a whole system. I was leaning toward thinking that it would be cheaper to buy the parts separately because you save on labor costs.

I guess i'm learning about the business of computer hardware.
    If it's just being used for basic stuff, you might be able to get away with using older tech, since there isn't much need for "top of the line" stuff unless you are gaming or doing video/photo editing.

I found a decent machine for 375 with OS, specs are fairly decent for the price and I doubt you'd come close to that price if you built one with similar specs.

charles, i did not mention in my post, but I would like to spend no more than $500. Maybe your $1000 system was for extreme gaming?
    It was my new gaming machine, The video card was around 200 USD IIRC. >.<

EDIT: If you want to do a two or three monitor setup, that might be hard to do within your budget - since I don't think an integrated card can do that.

You'd have to add a card, but that's not that expensive.
    Last edited by CharlesA; July 23rd, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you have a good video card and a ton of RAM already (or a few 1 GB sticks that are fairly recent), it would make more sense to get a barebones system with a decent processor and just move the memory, graphics card, and hard drive over.

You can even get i7 barebones desktop on eBay for fairly cheap- this is the option I would choose. RAM is cheap as well. However, if you have to get a new HDD and video card along with the computer, just look for a good deal on a whole desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

thanks, charles. i guess that settles it: The complete basic desktop is cheaper than the sum of its components.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have a six-year-old desktop with 1 gig of ram but no windows OS at all. I think buying Win7 or WinXP by itself would be pricey. It would probably be better than to just buy a complete desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have a six-year-old desktop with 1 gig of ram but no windows OS at all. I think buying Win7 or WinXP by itself would be pricey. It would probably be better than to just buy a complete desktop.
    Yep, even an OEM copy of Win7 is going to set you back around 100 bucks.

The HP machine I linked to earlier has a free PCIe x16 slot, so you could add a different video card.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Cheaper to buy a whole system.

I recently built a new box that cost me almost a grand - OS included. Probably could have gotten a prebuilt with similar specs for around 600-700.
    I disagree. The computer I built was $700. See specs in sig. I looked up similar machines from HP, Dell, etc. and they all were about $300-400 more.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast