Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No desktop from Lubuntu live cd

Beans

No desktop from Lubuntu live cd

Hi all,

I have downloaded Lubuntu and burnt to disk. The disk was checked and okay.
    When I run the live cd to try Lubuntu, all I end up with is the terminal command line.
    I have tried ctrl-alt-f7 and all I get is a blank screen. ctrl-alt-f2 gets me back to terminal.
    How do I get the desktop up, as I would love to try this distro and I want to see it working before I do any install.

John
    Acer Aspire SA60, Intel Celeron 2.8ghz, 2gig ram, 1x80gig & 1x100gig hard drives, Nvidia FX5900 turbo graphics card with 256mb ram (clock 410mhz - mem 800mhz), 22" lcd monitor @ 1680x1050res. Running dual boot Win XP and Xubuntu 11.04 with Unity 2D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No desktop from Lubuntu live cd

Quote Originally Posted by garagestmarien View Post
    Hi all,

When I run the live cd to try Lubuntu, all I end up with is the terminal command line.
    I have tried ctrl-alt-f7 and all I get is a blank screen. ctrl-alt-f2 gets me back to terminal.
    How do I get the desktop up, as I would love to try this distro and I want to see it working before I do any install.

John
    Did you download lubuntu from http://lubuntu.net/ or from somewhere else?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What are the specs of the machine youre running it on?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I know that you said that you checked the CD and it was OK, but did you check the md5sum and burn the ISO at the lowest possible speed. I just downloaded a Lubuntu ISO and made a bootable flash drive and it works without error.
    See this site for info:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation

Beans

Rex Bouwense
    es the md5 check was okay

whatthefunk
    All the specs are in my signature

westie457
    Yes I downloaded from Lubuntu.net

I am going to re-download from http://lubuntu.lafibre.info/11.04/ via torrent to see if this is any better.
    I'll post once this has been done.
    It's strange, because I have never had this problem before on any live distros.
    Acer Aspire SA60, Intel Celeron 2.8ghz, 2gig ram, 1x80gig & 1x100gig hard drives, Nvidia FX5900 turbo graphics card with 256mb ram (clock 410mhz - mem 800mhz), 22" lcd monitor @ 1680x1050res. Running dual boot Win XP and Xubuntu 11.04 with Unity 2D.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I know that things happens, but I have downloaded dozens of ISOs and have never had that happen.

Beans

I've had some trouble with the Lubuntu 11.04 live CD. When you get to the terminal prompt try:

Code:
    sudo service lxdm start
    Or:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/lxdm restart
    Oh, forgot to mention, you'll then need to login as ubuntu (as I recall, but it could be lubuntu) and just leave the password blank and press enter.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; July 23rd, 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Beans

Solved, but I don't know how
    Downloaded the new iso which checked out exactly the same as the previous one.
    Run live cd. Terminal again. As I forgot the sudo instructions from kansasnoob I shut down and booted into my other distro to get them.
    Then I run the live cd again ready to try the instruction and it booted into the desktop.
    I have no idea what made that happen but enough to say that I am really pleased with it and will be doing an install later.

Even so I would like to know how this happened.
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

John

Beans

Update.

Have installed and everything has gone well.
    I am impressed at the speed of this thing.
    Much cheaper than buying a more powerful computer!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by garagestmarien View Post
    Hi all,

John
    Without reading the other posts here(sorry about that, I'm in hurry), I have faced the same issue.

Long story short. Instead of choosing "TRY", choose "Install". On the first step, click "Close" or "Exit" - can't remember which one exactly?

After that, you'll see the desktop.

For some reason, the TRY Option doesn't work in Lubuntu 11.04.

Good luck!

P.S.
    The above process will make you able to TRY Ubuntu without installation. If you managed to install it, then ignore my post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast