Page 21 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

@kujuntuluntufurtu That link looks right to me. You may want to just wait for some of the other regulars to confirm the script works okay though. As I said, I have personally used it and everything works but I would hate for something to happen to a novice's system. Most of the people on this thread are very active so I am sure there will be an answer by tonight or tomorrow.

Seriously. Oneiric on MBA4,2 is a GLORIOUS thing. It was well worth the wait! I could NOT be happier!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    @kujuntuluntufurtu That link looks right to me. You may want to just wait for some of the other regulars to confirm the script works okay though. As I said, I have personally used it and everything works but I would hate for something to happen to a novice's system. Most of the people on this thread are very active so I am sure there will be an answer by tonight or tomorrow.

Seriously. Oneiric on MBA4,2 is a GLORIOUS thing. It was well worth the wait! I could NOT be happier!

Oneiric is still in Alpha state right ? maybe I should download that ?

By the way, I really want to install 64 bit version ... that script works on 64 bit right ?

I will give it try anyways ! Got my MBA recently so happy to install linux on it .

so much thanks to you .

UPDATE : Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric is Beta now. I googled again.
    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2011/09/01/...elot-released/
    Last edited by kujuntuluntufurtu; September 7th, 2011 at 02:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

32 or 64 shouldn't matter....however...if you are just getting things set-up I would use this as an opportunity to put on 64bit. Then youll never have to worry about it ever again.

Stay with natty for now. You don't *need* oneiric to get everything up and running. For new-users its always best to stay with stable releases.

Beans

32 or 64 shouldn't matter....however...if you are just getting things set-up I would use this as an opportunity to put on 64bit. Then youll never have to worry about it ever again.

Stay with natty for now. You don't *need* oneiric to get everything up and running. For new-users its always best to stay with stable releases.

Ok thank you. By the way, I removed MACOSX once and installed ubuntu on my MBA but booting time was taking so much time ... got stuck on gray screen for a min or so then booted into ubuntu finally. Do you know why when you remove MACOSX totally this happens ? Any links or help ? cause I want to remove Macosx totally .

Beans

I installed Oneiric + run the script and also fixi915 ...

STILL have to type nomodeset on grub ! cannot boot without it ! still get low resolution .

Any idea ?

Beans

Folks ...

Can anyone tell me why when I run the script and restart I still need to set modeset in order to log in the resolution is still 124 x 768 ?

I ran the script and just restart the computer ! nothing happens. DO I HAVE to do anything more ?

Ubuntu is not for NERDS ! I suppose you should help people like me who are totally new to linux !

I ran the script on 11.4 version 32 bit ...( removed Oneiric and installed 11:4 32 bit ) and restart the computer nothing happens Still same ****.

Do I have to do anything more besides running that script ? I am asking this becasue some of you already solved the problem. So can someone be kind and make the proccess simple for people like me who are not familiar with linux ? or I should just leave this forum and say ubuntu is not for human being but stil for the nerds ! ! !

This is what I get when I run in terminal ... the the terminal closes unexpectly ...

Quote Originally Posted by [sudo
    password for ubuntu:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Picking 'linux' as source package instead of 'linux-image-2.6.38-8-generic'
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    asciidoc binutils-dev docbook-dsssl docbook-utils docbook-xsl gawk jadetex
    kernel-wedge libdw-dev libdw1 libelf-dev libosp5 libostyle1c2 libsgmls-perl
    libsp1c2 luatex lynx lynx-cur makedumpfile openjade sgmlspl sharutils sp
    tex-common texlive-base texlive-binaries texlive-common texlive-doc-base
    texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-recommended tipa
    transfig xmlto
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    binutils
    1 upgraded, 34 newly installed, 0 to remove and 222 not upgraded.
    Need to get 21.8 MB/60.5 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 169 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main texlive-base all 2009-11 [14.7 MB]
    Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main texlive-fonts-recommended all 2009-11 [7,166 kB]
    Fetched 21.8 MB in 56s (384 kB/s)
    Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...009-11_all.deb Hash Sum mismatch
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
    E: Failed to process build dependencies
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Picking 'linux' as source package instead of 'linux-image-2.6.38-8-generic'
    NOTICE: 'linux' packaging is maintained in the 'Git' version control system at:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git-repos/u...untu-natty.git
    Skipping already downloaded file 'linux_2.6.38-11.48.dsc'
    Need to get 99.6 MB of source archives.
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-updates/main linux 2.6.38-11.48 (tar) [94.1 MB]
    seems some failing going on ...

UPDATE : I left the forum and also removed ubuntu. God bless MACOSX. Easy and just works.

Bye .
    Last edited by kujuntuluntufurtu; September 7th, 2011 at 08:16 AM.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

I can confirm native resolution + sleep/wake + Bluetooth on my MBA2011 13'' w/ Oneiric x64, basically just following the two scripts. What a major step forward! Wonderful. Thank you so much.

No multitouch + no special keys. And my vents seem to go on a little quicker + get a little louder under load. Do you have that as well?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daveMustane View Post
    I can confirm native resolution + sleep/wake + Bluetooth on my MBA2011 13'' w/ Oneiric x64, basically just following the two scripts. What a major step forward! Wonderful. Thank you so much.

No multitouch + no special keys. And my vents seem to go on a little quicker + get a little louder under load. Do you have that as well?
    You can tweak the fan settings in /etc/macfanctld.conf. If you find a better setting (ie one that more closer mimics OSX), please let us know. I don't even know if macfanctld is strictly necessary but for now I'm keeping it. There are one or two other alternatives out there, but this one seemed simple and was binary (which for daemons is obviously preferable).

What do you mean "No multitouch + no special keys"? I can two-finger-click to signal secondary mouse click and two-finger scroll. My fn+key combos work too. IIRC, I may have done xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap one more time. I think Gnome knows to read the file so unity should too.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kujuntuluntufurtu View Post
    Folks ...

or I should just leave this forum and say ubuntu is not for human being but stil for the nerds ! ! !

UPDATE : I left the forum and also removed ubuntu. God bless MACOSX. Easy and just works.

Bye .

My favorite part was when he yelled at us AS we OURSELVES were working out the solution.

In any case I updated the i915 fix-it script to handle the 11" MBA in addition to the 13" (kujuntuluntufurtu, I'm talking to you.)
    Last edited by dfacto; September 7th, 2011 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Can someone with a working Ubuntu and who did NOT use gdisk do me a favor?

Can you enable universe and install gptsync, run it (sudo gptsync /dev/sda), and paste the results back here?

I want to double-check that my manually specified hybrid MBR is the same as it was before my libparted escapades. (I am pretty sure it is, but now that everything is humming nicely I want to follow up on this.)

This gptsync is the same as the one you ran in refit and so it can't do any harm, particularly if you're already in Ubuntu. Moreover, the hybrid MBR is not needed by OSX (nor even Linux) and is only needed to put the firmware in legacy mode for non-efi booting.

Page 21 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast