Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

@koadman Thanks for updating the btusb. When I sent my patches to the kernel team I was informed that most of the apple-related dkms modules that were floating around were pretty out of date. Since it would be nice to get your patch into oneiric (I think there is just barely enough time) you may want to get in touch with the kernel team.

I subscribed to kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com and just mentioned that I need help and that I patched the keyboard/mouse dkms's. Then a very friendly canonical developer walked me through the process of making a patch. It took a total of an hour (and would have taken 5min if not for my fumbling around).

Also please let me know what specifically didn't work in the post-install script and I will fix it. (Already added debhelper and a wget to your btusb-dkms.)

If you prefer, you can send me your patch and I can repeat the process on your behalf (although it won't be signed off by you which is a pity for you since I think its cool to have contributed, minor though it may be).

Cheers!

PS Once you have the exact error maybe I can help...not sure what it could be otherwise...
    Last edited by dfacto; August 7th, 2011 at 06:02 AM.

Beans

@dfacto: The changes for btusb.c are really simple and you're welcome to contribute them to the linux kernel devs on my behalf and take all the credit. Patch here. One thing I wonder about is whether bluetooth 4 has any new features that aren't supported by btusb.c, in which case the functionality might still be limited even with that little patch. I'm no bluetooth expert.

On a different topic, I accidentally discovered that I am able to boot without nomodeset so long as I use the fbdev driver. Perhaps this is already known but I didn't see mention in the thread. I get a full resolution display, but it seems that the framebuffer is boxed into 1280x800 in the upper left corner. The remaining pixels at right and below show repeated garbage of the upper right sides. It's still nowhere near perfect but for me it beats looking at a blurry 1024x768 until the drivers are fixed. I made some efforts to get the full 1440x900, including xrandr mentioned earlier in the thread and setting the video res to 1440x900 on the grub kernel command-line but nothing has worked so far.

Beans
    Distro

@koadman How on earth did you get 1280 to work? I thought I tried everything!

I will go a head and make the patch.

Beans

Dunno how it happened. Maybe it's the karma I get from having used linux as my main OS for 13 years

If I tell the kernel to do 1440x900 with video-VGA-1:1440x900 on the grub commandline I can get 1440x900 virtual display res but its squished into the 1280x800 pixel frame. Maybe that info is useful to someone somewhere. This is all happening on a stock 2.6.38-10 kernel from natty. I tried the patched 3.0.0 kernel from sarvatt's page and get a crasher instead.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by koadman View Post
    Dunno how it happened. Maybe it's the karma I get from having used linux as my main OS for 13 years

If I tell the kernel to do 1440x900 with video-VGA-1:1440x900 on the grub commandline I can get 1440x900 virtual display res but its squished into the 1280x800 pixel frame. Maybe that info is useful to someone somewhere. This is all happening on a stock 2.6.38-10 kernel from natty. I tried the patched 3.0.0 kernel from sarvatt's page and get a crasher instead.
    This doesn't work for me (assuming you meant video=VGA-1:1440x900). Are you using xorg-edgers? What does your xorg.conf look like? What else is on your boot parameter line? I want 1280 so badly I could scream! Also Im surprised VGA-1 is what you used I was tryiing LVDS1 and LVDS-1....

Update 1: I ppa-purged xorg-edgers and stripped down my xorg.conf and I still only get a blank screen. I can't figure out how you did this!

Update 2: Koadman, what is your display model?
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install read-edid
    sudo get-edid 2>/dev/null|strings -5
    Mine is:
    Code:
    LP133WP1-TJA3
    Color LCD
    (which is a LG/Philips product code; also I have the SM128C SSD.)
    Last edited by dfacto; August 7th, 2011 at 06:21 PM.

Beans

Aha! I seem to have a samsung LCD, along with the 256GB ssd.

sudo get-edid 2> /dev/null | strings -5
    LTH133BT01A03
    Color LCD

Never occurred to me to try LVDS instead of VGA, I'll give that a go. Suspend works for me, need to look into hibernate next. I accidentally set my swap space too small for hibernate but thankfully still have some room to grow it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by koadman View Post
    Aha! I seem to have a samsung LCD, along with the 256GB ssd.

sudo get-edid 2> /dev/null | strings -5
    LTH133BT01A03
    Color LCD

Never occurred to me to try LVDS instead of VGA, I'll give that a go. Suspend works for me, need to look into hibernate next. I accidentally set my swap space too small for hibernate but thankfully still have some room to grow it.
    How exactly are you using the fbdev driver? Can you share your xorg.conf so we can make sure we are using the same configuration? Also do you have i7 or i5?
    Last edited by dfacto; August 7th, 2011 at 08:27 PM.

Beans

It's an i5. I just tried setting video=LVDS-1:1440x900 to no effect.

I posted my xorg.conf
    I'm guessing the xorg.conf may not have much to do with getting 1280x800 since the fb consoles all have that res too (and the annoying tiling in the lower right corner). I think that suggests it's coming from within the kernel driver not X.

No luck with hibernate even after I had swap sized big enough. Some error message about not being able to connect to the disk but I'm not sure if that's related.

Beans

I've been playing with getting power usage down using suggestions from powertop. So far the lowest I've been able to achieve is about 7.7 watts. This is with a fully dimmed screen, not running any compute, sata power management, audio power management, usb autosuspend, and bluetooth disabled. Disabling the wifi seems to make no difference. Disabling bluetooth and dimming the screen helped the most.

Here's some commands to run as root to achieve the effect:

hciconfig hci0 down ; rmmod hci_usb
    echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/link_power_management_policy
    echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1.1/power/autosuspend
    echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

With these settings the ACPI claims I'll be getting 7-8 hours of battery, depending on how much I touch the mouse (trackpad seems to be the biggest remaining power hog!)

My previous lappie, an Asus UL30A, could run at 4.5W. I miss it already...

Beans
    Distro

Yeah--Im so sick of KMS right now. I literally wasted the whole day trying to do better than 1024x768. I guess its back to sitting on my hands and waiting for this bugfix.

The thing that stinks is that OS X is terrible! You can't change the font size and you can't change resolution without making it ridiculously blurry. I thought OS X was supposed to be "the world's most advanced operating system!" Sigh...
    Last edited by dfacto; August 8th, 2011 at 02:04 AM.

Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast